Inductees - J to L
HENRY FLETCHER JOSEPH JACKSON
Henry F. J. Jackson, grandfather of A.Y. Jackson, noted Canadian painter, was born in England and educated in King's College, London. He came to Canada in 1844 on a sailing ship, a journey that took eight weeks, and worked in Ottawa and Montreal.
He chose railroading as an occupation and became general agent of the St. Lawrence and Atlanta Railway. He then became a subcontractor for the laying of a section of the main line of the Grand Trunk Railway through Waterloo County, coming to this area by steamboat and stagecoach. After the building of the railway Jackson represented the Canada Life, Provincial Fire and other companies, and was a founder of the Economical Insurance Co. He was superintendent of schools for three years and a magistrate for ten years.
He later moved to Montreal and became vice-president of the Jacques Cartier Bank. Jackson was a man of many talents, a fine linguist and a patron of painting.
The newspaper business was always part of the life of Peter Jaffray, at one time an editor of the first English newspaper published in Waterloo County, the Dumfries Courier.
Born in Throsk, Scotland, he apprenticed with an Edinburgh printing firm soon after his graduation from Glasgow University. He then became editor and owner of the Chronicle of Shrewsbury, England.
Soon after emigrating to Canada he became editor of the Dumfries Courier. In 1846 Jaffray founded the Galt Reporter and Dumfries Mercantile and Agricultural Advertiser. Continuing the family tradition, one son became editor of the Berlin Chronicle, another editor of the Galt Reporter and still another business manager of the Galt Reporter.
JOSIE FRANCE JAMIESON
(see also Paul Mills, b. 1958)
Josie France Jamieson and Paul Mills, through the Preston Skating Club, rose to become pairs figure skating champions.
In 1976 they won the novice Canadian title. In 1977, coached by Kerry Leitch, they won the Canadian Junior Pairs competition and went on to win the World Junior Pairs competition that same year in France. After winning the world title, they were named Cambridge Athletes of the Year.
HENRY LOUIS JANZEN
Henry Louis Janzen built the first greenhouses in this area - Berlin Commercial Nurseries - in 1879, and was largely responsible for convincing the Ontario Sugar Company to open the first sugar beet factory here in 1902.
A native of Germany who resided for a period in the USA, Janzen went to New Hamburg as a nurseryman in 1877, and two years later moved to Berlin to establish a business at King and Wellington Streets.
His civic service was extensive: membership on the Public School Board, during which time through his influence a second public school, now King Edward School, was built; town councillor; reeve; first deputy reeve; mayor in 1890; a founder of the Kitchener Horticultural Society; director of the Economical Mutual and a founder and board member of the News Record.
Janzen retired to Springbrook Farm, Breslau, in 1919, where he continued his greenhouse and nursery activity.
FRANCOIS CHARLES ARCHILE JEANNERET
DES L, LLD, OA
F.C.A. Jeanneret was born in Elmira on November 18, 1890. He graduated with honours from Berlin Collegiate and played on the Rangers soccer team which won the Dominion championship.
Following graduation from the University of Toronto, he studied at the University of Chicago and the Sorbonne, Paris. He was head of the department of modern languages at Upper Canada College 1912-13. He was on the staff of University College from 1913, being chairman in the School of Graduate Studies 1947-51, principal of University College 1951-59 and Chancellor of the University of Toronto 1959-67.
He was the author of fifteen textbooks, including French texts used in Ontario high schools. From 1926-41 he directed the Ontario department of education's oral French course for teachers at Quebec City and was honoured by Laval University.
Jeanneret was named an Officer d'Academie by France in 1940, was awarded a medal by the French government in 1959 and the Chaveau Medal by the Royal Society of Canada.
He was Canadian delegate to the Commonwealth Education Conference, Oxford, 1959 and in Delhi, India, 1962.
At Waterloo Region Museum there is a unique bicycle on which Andrew Jenkins, owner of the Branchton Inn, crossed Niagara Falls in 1869. A long balancing-pole, with a weighted ball at each end, lashed across the bottom hoop at right angles to the stout tightrope, made the vehicle very stable. Jenkins peddled with both hands and feet. A friction brake that closed on the rope immobilized the vehicle for rest periods.
In 1871 Jenkins received a gold medal for his exploits at a wider gorge at Rocky River, Ohio. He also performed indoors at Montreal and other cities. He later became a skilful photographer.
His father was Benjamin Jenkins, the contractor who built the Great Western Railway line from Harrisburg to Galt. The Branchton Inn was later occupied as a residence by descendants of the Jenkins family.
Lorne Johannes, born in Blair, became one of South Waterloo's best known personalities through his sports and humanitarian activities and organizational abilities.
The Blair Hornets hockey team, of which he was captain, and later manager, repeatedly won hockey championships. Johannes conceived the idea of a rural hockey association and in 1931, founded the Ontario Rural Hockey Association, which eventually had 2,500 players, and the Ontario Rural Softball Association one year later. He was made a life member of both organizations.
Both organizations included teams from most village-sized Ontario communities.
Circulation Manager for the Galt Reporter for forty-five years, Johannes managed 5,000 carrier boys. He served the Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship's Pioneer Camp in Muskoka; the Christian Businessmen, the Gideons, the Guelph Correctional Centre Chaplaincy service, the Forward Baptist Church and Knox Presbyterian Church, Cambridge. He actively promoted the Knox Presbyterian Golden Hour, an extremely successful radio programme. He also served the international Christian Nationals' Evangelism Commission which works in many Third World Countries.
Mary Johnston is a well-known and respected educator in Waterloo Region, whose career spanned 37 years until her retirement in 1987.
Johnston attended Kitchener-Waterloo Collegiate, Waterloo College and the Stratford Teachers' College. She earned Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Education and Master of Arts degrees from the University of Western Ontario.
Johnston's teaching career began in 1950 at Bearinger School, moving to MacGregor School two years later. In 1965 she became Vice-Principal of Empire School, and was the only woman public school Vice-Principal in the area. She was appointed Principal of Brighton School in 1968, becoming the first woman Principal of a public school in the City of Waterloo. Johnston's contributions to local education were recognized in 1987 when the Waterloo County Board of Education named a new school in west Waterloo after her. During her teaching career, Johnston was active on many local, regional, provincial and national committees concerned with education issues and policies.
Johnston's honours include the Diamond Jubilee Award, a one-time recognition by the Federation of Women Teachers' Association of Ontario as the most distinguished woman elementary public school teacher in Ontario. She was also named Oktoberfest Woman of the Year (Professional Category) in 1975 and received Her Majesty's Silver Anniversary and Golden Jubilee Medals.
After her retirement, Johnston contributed to the community by her work with The Waterloo Region Social Resources Council. She also continues to be an active member of the Waterloo Historical Society, the Canadian Federation of University Women (Kitchener-Waterloo), the Probus Women's Club of Kitchener-Westmount, and the Retired Teachers' Association of Waterloo Region.
Johnston is a faithful member of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Kitchener where she is an elder and actively participates in the Women's Missionary Society. In the wider church, she has been very involved in the National Presbyterian Museum and Oikocredit, which is the worldwide cooperative society that empowers disadvantaged and marginalized people through financial support.
Photo courtesy of Bob Rogers.
VERNON "TEX" KAISER
Vernon Kaiser was born in Preston on September 28, 1925 and began his hockey career with the Preston Riversides of the Ontario Minor Hockey Association in 1941. Kaiser joined the Royal Canadian Navy in 1943, to join the Winnipeg Navy hockey team for the 1944-45 season.
Over the next five years, Kaiser played in the minor leagues, including the Fort Worth Rangers where he earned the nickname of "Tex". During this time, Kaiser's player rights with the National Hockey League were owned by Eddie Shore who prevented him from playing in the NHL. Kaiser finally got his shot at the NHL, joining the Montreal Canadiens during the 1950-51 season. Unfortunately, Shore bought back Kaiser's player rights and he again faced the prospect of life in the minor hockey leagues. In the early 1950s, Kaiser played hockey for the Buffalo Bisons, the Montreal Royals and the Syracuse Warriors, retiring from hockey in 1955.
Kaiser was also an accomplished Inter-county baseball player, helping the Galt Terriers win the 1949 pennant. He led the league in home runs during the 1949 season. Kaiser is considered by many to be one of the best hockey and baseball players to ever come out of Cambridge.
Kaiser and his wife Bette were married in 1945. They have three sons and a daughter.
Photograph Hockey Hall of Fame, Toronto
ANNA KALJAS CM
Anna Kaljas, born in Estonia, was a teacher and a nursing aid during WWII. After spending five years in a German Refugee Camp in Augsberg, she came to Canada, eventually arriving in Kitchener where she completed her training as a Registered Nursing Aid (RNA) and spent the next nine and a half years at the K-W Hospital.
In the 1950s she bought a house on Frederick Street to help refugees who had nowhere to stay. The refugees were followed by teenage law breakers who had been sent to correctional institutions.
The opening of group homes for teenagers allowed Anna, at first, to help ex-convicts. The opening of halfway houses, in the early 1970s allowed her to offer help to patients from some mental institutions.
In the mid 1970s she expanded her facilities to include two adjacent houses.
In May 1980, the Anna Kaljas Award was established for her more than twenty years of unselfish service as "mother hen" to these adult orphans, ex-psychiatric patients, alcoholics, addicts and other seemingly hopeless people.
In June 1983, Kaljas was enrolled in the Order of Canada.
ALVIN RATZ KAUFMAN
A.R. Kaufman, of Kitchener, one of Canada's outstanding industrialists and philanthropists, had personal experience in the rubber industry through association with his father, Jacob Kaufman, which led to the founding and successful development of the Kaufman Rubber Company in 1908 (later the Kaufman Footwear Industries) and the Superior Box Company.
He made a unique contribution to humanitarian work throughout Canada by the founding and sustained support of birth control projects, especially the Parents Information Bureau.
He also gave invaluable service to Kitchener through city planning, which he initiated and guided for decades, and to the local branch of the YMCA which he established and to which he gave continuous moral and financial support.
He served the Kitchener Parks Board and boards of many local organizations and institutions, and was a member of the Board of Governors of the University of Waterloo.
In 1964 he was chosen Citizen of the Year by the Kitchener Junior Chamber of Commerce. In 1973, a new Kitchener school "The A.R. Kaufman School," was named in his honour.
EMMA R. KAUFMAN
Emma R. Kaufman, born in Berlin, Ontario, served the Young Women's Christian Association in Japan for thirty years, in Canada, and throughout the world. She joined the Tokyo YWCA staff where she supported physical education. She sent promising Japanese women to study abroad, and brought to Japan many Canadians who contributed to the "Y" work.
During the war she devoted herself to the work of the YWCA in Canada and helped Japanese Canadians interned as enemy aliens and escapees from the Nazis, who were interned here. She set up an endowment fund for students to study outside of North America and helped bring individuals from Third World nations to study in Canada.
A bronze statue of Kaufman stand in the foyer of the Tokyo YWCA - a tribute to her outstanding work. During the 60th anniversary of the association in 1965 the Emperor of Japan presented her with a memorial cup. In the same year she was presented with the International Cooperation Year medal in Montreal.
JACOB S. KAUFMAN
1847 - 1920
Jacob S. Kaufman was born July 15, 1847 on a farm near New Hamburg, Ontario and died in Kitchener on April 20, 1920.
He started his career in the lumber industry in Gadshill. He married Mary Ratz in 1877 and moved to Berlin where the larger community offered more opportunity for this aggressive, pioneering manufacturer.
He built a mill for the manufacture of doors and window sash, and eventually incorporated this company as Jacob Kaufman Limited. In 1899 he encouraged George Schlee in the organizing of The Berlin Rubber Company and was heavily involved financially. In 1903 Jacob Kaufman was instrumental in the organization of the Merchants Rubber Company, assisted in this venture by the dynamic management of T.H. Rieder.
When Merchants Rubber was absorbed by the Canadian Consolidated Rubber Company in 1907, Jacob Kaufman established and built in 1908 the Kaufman Rubber Company which was ably directed by his son, Alvin R. Kaufman.
In addition to his intense activity in manufacturing, he was conscious of civic responsibilities, being a member of the Water Commission, a member of the Light Commission and the donor of a grant to the Twin Cities in 1920 to build the original nurses' residence of the K-W Hospital.
MARY RATZ KAUFMAN
Mary Eidt Ratz was born in 1856, the eldest of thirteen children, at the family's sawmill in Gad's Hill, Ontario. In 1877, she married Jacob Kaufman who eventually became a very successful local business entrepreneur. The couple moved to Berlin (Kitchener) where they raised four children.
Kaufman's life demonstrated her dedication to improving the lives of women and children. She began her community service by joining the women's organization of Zion Evangelical Church where she served three terms as President. She also participated in the young women's missionary society by opening her home to visiting missionaries and offering generous financial support. Committed to the concepts of social justice and social reform, she helped to found (1894) and was a life member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union, a member of the founding board of the Berlin Orphanage (1896), a board member of the Children's Aid Society (1909-1938), and Honourary President of the Organized Social Workers. She was actively involved in the building campaign of the Berlin-Waterloo Hospital (1895), and was head of the women's auxiliary which raised substantial funds for both the hospital and the nurse's residence.
The organization that benefited most from Kaufman's energy and generosity was the YWCA. She helped to organize and was the first president of the Berlin YWCA in 1905. Initially, the YWCA operated out of a church owned by Jacob Kaufman. Room and board for up to 18 young women, who were moving into the city from their rural homes to work in the factories, was available along with sewing, cooking, conversational German and Bible Study. Kaufman continued as president of the board until 1914 and worked tirelessly for many years to raise funds so that the YWCA could purchase its own building.
In May of 1915, the YWCA opened the doors of a new building with accommodation for fifty women, meeting rooms, offices and a large dining room. Another wing was added in 1937, with funds donated by Kaufman and her son Alvin. She remained active with the YWCA throughout her life, as a generous donor, serving on committees and on the board. Eventually, she was named Honourary President. In 1990, the YWCA renamed their shelter Mary's Place in recognition of Kaufman's extraordinary contribution.
Jean Kellerman graduated from Waterloo College (Western University) in 1940. She worked at Dominion Life Assurance Company for five years when she answered the call to become a Missionary to China from the Evangelical United Brethren Church. She attended the United Church Training School (1945-46) and Yale University (1946-47) where she studied Chinese. Her first posting in China was in the small town of Liling, Hunan Province. In the spring of 1949 the Communist government/army of Mao Tse Tung gained control of that area causing a co-worker and Jean to evacuate to the larger city of Changsha. There they carried on some work until being forced out of China in the fall of 1950. She very reluctantly returned to Canada.
Two years later Jean went to Japan, studied Japanese, taught Bible classes in Tokyo until she was appointed the pastor of a church on the island of Hokkaido. Her service in Japan then stretched over 25 years. After returning to Kitchener in 1977, she became the Associate Minister at Calvary Memorial United Church, responsible for pastoral care, later being named Minister Emeritus.
Photograph by Belair, Kitchener.
ERNEST W. KENDALL
Ernie Wakefield Kendall was born in Guelph in 1908. He attended and graduated from the Ontario Agricultural College, Guelph in 1932. Ernie won the Track and Field Championship in 1930 and the Aquatic Championship four times. He broke four records in aquatics, as well as the record for the mile race and one for the Harriers (long distance running).
Kendall taught at Elmira High School from 1933 until his retirement in 1970. From 1946 to 1967, he formed and supervised the local high school Teen Town for young teens 16-19 years of age and was the leader of the Cadet program from 1946 to 1969. His teaching career was interrupted from 1942-1946 while he served as an active member of the Canadian forces, eventually attaining the rank of Major.
He loved his 100 acres of bush property, and with the help of his students was awarded the responsibility of marking trees for the Department of Lands and Forests. He was heavily involved with his community as a Scout Master, working with mentally-challenged children at the local swimming pool, visiting shut-ins and taking flowers and fruit from his own garden. He canvassed for the Canadian Cancer Society and the Heart & Stroke Foundation for more than 30 years.
In 1973 Kendall was named one of the local citizens who had contributed the most to Elmira in the past 25 years. In 1978 he was named Citizen of the Year by the Elmira and Woolwich Chamber of Commerce. He was also named the Citizen of the Year for Woolwich Township and received the Governor General of Canada Award for the 125th Anniversary of Canada.
CAPTAIN GEORGE FRASER KERR MM, VC
Born in Desoronto, Ontario, George Kerr attended the Galt Collegiate Institute from 1908 to 1913. George enlisted with the 3rd Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force in 1914. While recovering from earlier wounds, Kerr won the Victoria Cross at Bourlon Wood, near Cambrai, France, when he rushed a stronghold and single-handedly captured four machine guns and thirty one prisoners. Locally, a plaque in Valour Place at the Cambridge Armoury commemorates his achievements.
Robert Kerr was born in Galt in 1929 and was educated at Galt Collegiate Institute where he started a student newspaper. Following graduation he joined with his father to form John Kerr & Son, which specialized in printing reserved seat tickets. Customers included Maple Leaf Gardens and the Stratford Festival.
Always interested in politics, Kerr was elected to Galt City Council in 1957. In 1964 he was elected the youngest mayor in Galt's history, an office he held for four one-year terms. In 1975-76 he served one two-year term as Mayor of the amalgamated City of Cambridge.
In 1965 Kerr joined with his high school friend Graeme Ferguson, to form Ferguson Kerr Ltd., which produced the multi-screen film Polar Life for the Man and the Polar Regions pavilion at Expo 67. Building on that experience they joined with Roman Kroitor and William Shaw and founded a revolutionary new motion picture system, which they called IMAX. For 20 years Kerr was the chair of the company. Ferguson and Kroitor were the film makers, and Bill Shaw was the engineer.
The first permanent IMAX theatre was built at Ontario Place in 1971. In 1976 the Smithsonian Institute incorporated an IMAX theatre into its National Air and Space Museum. There are now 500 IMAX theatres in 45 countries. The company was subsequently sold by its founders.
In October 2010 the City of Cambridge unveiled a memorial in Kerr's honour in Mill Race Park.
Born in Kitchener on November 19th, 1928, Kesselring started golfing at an early age. Lloyd Tucker, then Pro at the Kitchener Rockway Golf course, assisted him, giving playing privileges for picking chick weeds out of the greens. He caught on rapidly and won the Ontario Junior Championship in 1945, 1946 and 1948. He missed out in 1947, losing to Bob Fair by one stroke.
He won the Canadian Junior Championship in 1946 and 1947 and was the only one to win it twice. He was on the Ontario Provincial team for the Willingdon trophy from 1949 to 1953.
Kesselring turned professional in October 1953 and in 1960 applied for a return to amateur ranking. Six years later in 1966, his request was granted. |
Included in his achievements are the Ontario Open in 1952 and 1953; Ontario Open as a Professional in 1956 and 1957; Kitchener Rockway eleven times and Kitchener Westmount four times; the Ontario Amateur Championship in 1949, 1951, 1952 and 1953. He was chosen Ontario's most outstanding athlete in 1952 by the Ontario Sportswriter and Broadcasters Association.
AUGUST JOHN KIMMEL
A.J. Kimmel was a noted industrialist in Berlin, Ontario who greatly aided in the development of the city. He was associated with the Berlin Felt Boot Company for fifteen years and in 1900 organized the Elmira Felt Company. In 1907 he built the Kimmel Felt Company at Berlin. When the Canadian Consolidated Felt Company was formed in 1909, consolidating the Elmira company, the Kimmel company and the Berlin Felt Boot Company, he became vice-president and general manager of the new organization. He also became associated with the large rubber interests in Canada which later merged to become the Canadian Consolidated Rubber Company Limited.
Kimmel became a director of many industrial organizations in Berlin and throughout Ontario and Quebec. With T.H. Rieder he founded the Dominion Rubber Company which became a very successful national organization.
RT. HON. WILLIAM LYON MACKENZIE KING
W.L. Mackenzie King, Prime Minister for more than twenty-one years, is Waterloo County's most widely known son. His grandfather was William Lyon MacKenzie, leader of the Reform Movement that culminated in the Rebellion of 1837. His boyhood home in Berlin at 528 Wellington North, has been restored as a national historic site.
He attended Berlin schools and had a brilliant career at the University of Toronto, graduating with a B.A. in 1895, an LL.B 1896, and M.A. from Harvard 1898 and a PhD 1909. While studying at Chicago he lived in Hull House founded by Jane Adams and social ideas planted at this time grew into a program of social welfare for all Canada. As a reporter, he investigated sweat shop conditions of workers on government contracts, which were later corrected by Acts of Parliament. He accepted a position with the Minister of Labour in spite of the fact that the salary was smaller than that of a Harvard teaching position.
He joined the civil service at Ottawa as Deputy Minister of Labour in 1900. King was elected to Parliament as a member for Waterloo North in 1908, was appointed Minister of Labour by Sir Wilfrid Laurier and on the death of Laurie in 1919 he was elected Liberal leader. He became Prime Minister of Canada in 1921 and held that high office for three separate periods totalling twenty-one years and five months.
Dave Kipfer had a great career as a basketball star at Cameron Heights Collegiate in Kitchener, participating on teams that won many provincial tournaments, four league championships, two regional championships and the 1983 All-Ontario championship. That year, Kipfer averaged 25 points per game and 12 rebounds, as he led the Gaels to a combined overall record of 54 wins and four losses.
Kipfer accepted a basketball scholarship to attend Providence College in Rhode Island, graduating in 1987 with a bachelor's degree in business. In his senior year, as co-captain of the Friars, Kipfer and his team-mates advanced to the NCAA Final Four. That year, Kipfer averaged 12 points and six rebounds per game. He was named a third-team All-Star in the Big East Conference.
Kipfer also played for Team Ontario and Canada's National Jr. and B teams from 1983 to 1986. After graduating from Providence College, Kipfer played professional basketball in the USBL and T-71 Dudelange, Luxembourg.
He currently resides in Connecticut where he works in the printing and publishing industry. Kipfer volunteers for several organizations including the Milford Hospital, where his wife Karen is the Executive Director. The Kipfers have two children.
Photo by Thomas F. Maguire Jr.
JAMES R. H. KIRKPATRICK
James Kirkpatrick was born in New Hamburg and graduated from Royal Military College with honours in 1938. He entered law school that same year.
In 1939, he joined the Navy and was overseas by June 1940 on loan to the Royal Navy where, as a Lieutenant-Commander, he led one of two flotillas of motor torpedo boats crewed by Royal Canadian Navy ratings, patrolling the English Channel and the North Sea. He was awarded the D.S.O. and remained active with the peacetime Navy, attaining the rank of Captain.
In 1942, he married his English war bride, Winifred, who predeceased him by one year. He graduated from Osgoode Hall in 1945 and practised law briefly in Kitchener before being appointed a magistrate in 1950. He served as a judge of the Ontario Provincial Court (Criminal, Juvenile and Family Divisions) until 1991. He was concurrently a member of the Kitchener-Waterloo, Galt, Preston and Hespeler Police Commissions and of the Waterloo Regional Police Service Board for 42 years.
His volunteer work included serving as a Member and Chairman of the Ontario Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation; as President of the Juvenile and Family Court Judges' Association and the Association of Municipal Police Governing Authorities; he was also the Honourary President of the Big Brothers Association of Kitchener-Waterloo, the K-W Naval Veterans' Association and the Galt Naval Veterans' Association.
In 1991, his contribution to the community was recognized when the new J.R.H. Kirkpatrick Building, headquarters of the Waterloo Regional Police, was named after him - for which he was greatly honoured. He's been described as wise, fun, sportsmanlike, fair, supportive and, as one colleague said, "the clearest person with words I have ever known."
1971 Ontario and Canadian Women's Senior A Softball Champions
Back Row (L-R): Eugene Miller - Statistician, Yvonne Denomme - Captain, Norma Wood, Lynne Vanstone, Russ Habkirk - Coach, Jackie Logie, Janet Thorne, Evelyn Weatherstone, Kevin Nugent - Manager.
Middle Row: Pat Gilmour - Ass't Manager, Marienne Izzard, Charlene Shaule, Lynn Spafford, Luanne Izzard, Kathy Kaugas.
Front Row: Debbie Hoy, Lynne Hyde, Janet Stroh.
1975 Canadian Champions
Back Row (L-R): Maurice Ambeau - Assistant Manager, Roberta Awde, Norma Wood, Diane Warriner, Don Cameron - Coach, Georgina Reynolds, Luanne Izzard, Sue Scherer, Pat Gilmour - Manager.
Front Row: Lynn Hyde, Sharon Naumann, Kathy Helm, Kathy Sheridan, Jan Stroh, Shirley Kirck, Loiey Moir.
From left to right
Carlo Di Rienzo, Gregory Campbell, Steve Spott, Steve Bienkowski, Derek Roy, Ted Scharf, Peter DeBoer, Steve Eminger, Scott Dickie, Jim Brown
Tayler Hill, Rolly Fortin, Michael Richards, Chad McCaffrey, Thomas Harrison, Rafal Martynowski, Petr Kanko, Nathan O'Nabigon, Marcus Smith, Adam Keefe, Andre Benoit, T.J. Eason, Matt Grennier, Dan Lebold
Brad Sparkes, Jesse Boucher, Matt Manias, Nick Duff, Paul McFarland, David Clarkson, Evan McGrath, George Halkidis, Neil Hoch, Jeff Young
The 2002-03 season in Kitchener Rangers history is one to remember.
After an impressive regular season that saw the Rangers finish as the Ontario Hockey League's number one team with a record of 46 wins, 14 losses, 5 ties and 3 over-time losses, the Rangers moved on to post-season play.
In four playoff series the Rangers eliminated the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds in four games before moving on to eliminate the Guelph Storm in five games. Following that, they defeated the Plymouth Whalers in seven games in the Western Conference final and finally the Ottawa 67s in five games to capture the J. Ross Robertson Cup as champions of the OHL. With the victory, the Rangers secured a berth in the Memorial Cup Tournament in Quebec City.
While at the Memorial Cup, the Rangers cruised through round-robin play with a perfect 3-0 record. The round-robin included a win over the host Remparts Québec in the opening game, followed by wins over the Kelowna Rockets and the Olympiques Gatineau.
With the perfect 3-0 record, the Rangers earned a buy into the Championship game against the Olympiques Gatineau, champions of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. In the final game the Rangers were not to be denied, winning in convincing fashion 6 to 3 before a sold-out crowd of more than 15,000.
As newly crowned kings of junior hockey, the Rangers had five
players named to the Memorial Cup All Star Team: Gregory Campbell,
Scott Dickie, Steve Eminger, Michael Richards and Derek Roy.
Campbell led all scorers in the tournament with seven points in
four games and Roy was named MVP of the tournament.
Photo - Forde Studio
Top Row (Left-Right) Tanner Pearson, Brad Sparkes, Jason Akeson, Scott Timmins, Mikkel Boedker, Dan Kelly, Nazem Kadri, Jordan Hardy, Mike Mascioli, Rolly Fortin, Dave Tennant
Middle Row - Michelle Fortin, Barry Hoch, Jim Brown, Alexei Dostoinov, T.J. Battani, Spencer Anderson, Myles Barbieri, Robert Bortuzzo, Brandon Mashinter, Josh Schram, Scott Tregunna, Alex Dzielski, Troy Smith, Tayler Hill, Adam Bramhill, Dan Lebold
Front Row - Josh Unice, Yannick Weber, Justin Azevedo, Mike Duco, Stephen Spott, Steve Bienkowski, Matt Pepe, Ted Scharf, Peter DeBoer, Matt Halischuk, Nick Spaling, Ben Shutron, Steve Mason
The Kitchener Rangers Major Junior hockey team achieved a record-setting season in 2007-2008, emerging as champions in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), and hosting the 2008 Memorial Cup Championships.
The Rangers finished the regular season in first place overall in the 20-team league, establishing a team record of 53 wins, 11 losses and four overtime/shoot-out losses for 110 points.
In the playoffs, the Rangers swept their way to the 2008 Championship, winning 16 games while losing only four.
As Ontario Hockey League champions, the Rangers participated in the Memorial Cup championship, which they also hosted. The team qualified for the final game of the championship, losing to Spokane, WA and ended the season as Memorial Cup finalists.
The Rangers' successful season captivated the community, with crowds of more than 6,000 fans attending all games at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium. As well, the community embraced the opportunity to host the Memorial Cup national championship.
Complementing the superb team success, centre Justin Azevedo's superb playmaking resulted in his winning the triple crown of scoring, as the top scorer in the OHL regular season, the playoffs and the Memorial Cup tournament. In addition, Azevedo won the Red Tilson Award as the OHL's Most Valuable Player, and the Wayne Gretzky 99 Award as the OHL playoff MVP. As well, he was named the Canadian Hockey League's player of the year.
Forward Matt Halischuk, the OHL's Most Sportsmanlike Player for the season, was a member of Canada's National Junior Team and scored the winning goal in overtime in the gold medal game against Sweden at the IIHF world championships in the Czech Republic.
KITCHENER HALLMAN RIVERSHARK TWINS
International Softball Congress Champions - 2008
Front - Steve Mullaley, Todd Martin, Jeff Ellsworth, Evan Boyd
2nd row - Ryan Wolfe, Matt Lynch, Blair Ezekial, Frank Cox, Larry Lynch (Coach)
3rd row - Greg Nydick (Statistician), Dan Loney, Blake Miller, Ian Fehrman, Jody Eidt
4th row - Patrick Shannon, Dave Bailey, Don Scott, Jason
Back - Denny Bruckert (Field Manager), Bob Nydick (Sponsor and GM), Jim Hallman (Sponsor), Derek Shackleton, Meg Smith (Trainer)
Absent - Cyril Moss (Strength Trainer), Todd Evans (Website Manager)
The Kitchener Hallman Rivershark Twins reached the pinnacle of success in 2008, winning the prestigious International Softball Congress (ISC) World Championship.
In the 2008 ISC Championships hosted in Wisconsin, the Hallman Twins sported a perfect record of six consecutive wins, defeating teams from Oregon, North Dakota, Iowa, New York and Saskatchewan. In the final game, it was the first time that two Canadian teams (the Twins and Saskatoon Aspen Interiors) competed, and the Twins were only the second Canadian team to earn the title of ISC World Champions in the 62-year history of the event.
The Twins are the longest continuously operating senior men's fastball team in Canada.
In the inaugural 1967 season, the team was sponsored by Waterloo Bridge Sports. In the 1970s and 1980s, sponsored by CHYM radio, the team gained prominence as the Waterloo CHYMrs.
In 1991, the team changed to become the Waterloo Twins, sponsored by Twin City Trophies and later by the Brick Brewing Company. In 1997, the Hallman family became involved, initially through Peter Hallman, and following his untimely death in 1999, Jim Hallman assumed the sponsorship and the team became known as the Kitchener Hallman Twins.
Provincially, the team has won five Ontario championships and collected six medals at the national Softball Canada Championships.
In ISC competition, it took 17 appearances over 19 seasons for the Twins to win the World Title, amassing a 57-31 record.
The 2008 season will be long remembered as the year that the Kitchener Hallman Rivershark Twins were crowned World Champions.
KITCHENER SENIOR HOCKEY CLUB
1918 Worlds Amateur Champions
Top Row (L-R): G. Hainsworth - Goal, F. Trushinski - R. Defense, G. Karges - L. Defense, G. Hiller - Centr & Capt., E. Parkes - R. Wing, O. Soloman - L. Wing.
Middle Row: H. Wismer - Mgr., A. Leroux - Sub, F. McAvoy - Trainer, A. Ferriman - Sub, E.L. Roschman - Sec'y. Tres.
Bottom Row: Dr. F.H. Kalbfleisch - Club Physician, E.W. Voelker - Executive, E.O. Ritz - Pres., P.S. Pearce - Vice Pres., H.E. Wettlaufer - Hon. Pres., E.C. Kabel - Hon. Pres.
GARNET "BUD" KOEHLER
Garnet Koehler was born in 1931 in New Dundee and purchased his first motorcycle at age 16. Two years later in 1949, Koehler won his first trophy for motorcycle racing. Throughout his career, he participated in road and drag races, dirt and flat-track scrambles, hill climbs and ice racing.
In 1952, Koehler raced in his first Canadian Motorcycle Association (CMA) sanctioned event. And in 1957 he won the CMA's White Trophy, awarded for the most points earned annually in all types of motorcycle racing in Canada. In 1958, he also began racing competitively in the US, wining dirt track and road races in both countries.
He was the first Canadian to win the American Motorcycle Association 50-mile national amateur race in 1960. In 1962, Koehler won the Ontario half-mile championship.
Koehler won the Canadian national dirt track championship in 1963, but crashed later that year in the provincial championship, suffering severe back injuries that forced him to retire from competitive racing. Koehler was inducted into the Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 2008.
K-W CIVITANS JUNIOR WOMEN'S SOFTBALL CLUB
From 1982 to 1990, the K-W Civitans Junior Women's Softball Club was one of the most dominant junior women's softball teams in Canada. During that stretch, the team won four National Championships including 1983 in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan; 1987 in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan; 1989 in Kitchener; and 1990 in Kamloops, British Columbia. The team also won a silver medal in 1982 in Kitchener and a bronze medal in 1988 in St. Catherines, Ontario.
In the four years the Civitans won National honours, they lost only one game. They went undefeated in Lloydminister, Moose Jaw and Kitchener, while losing only one game in Kamloops. Their overall won/lost record was an amazing 35 to 1.
THE KRAUT LINE
The players pictured here, left to right, Woody Dumart, Bobby Bauer anad Milt Schmidt, were three of the most famous hockey players produced in this area. When teenagers, their skills attracted National Hockey League scouts which resulted in contracts with the Boston Bruins for Bauer and Dumart in 1935 and for Schmidt in 1936.
By the end of the 1937 season all three had been called up by the Bruins where they starred for many seasons as a unit and individually including 1938-39 and 1940-41 when the Bruins won the Stanley Cup.
While playing for Providence in 1936, a Boston farm club, they were given the name "The Sauerkraut Line" shortened later to "The Kraut Line" now considered one of the finest in hockey history.
Bauer, who died in 1946 was born in Waterloo in 1915. Schmidt was born in Kitchener in 1918 and Dumart in Kitchener in 1916. Dumart died in 2001. Schmidt currently (1972) lives in the Boston area.
Allan Cup Champions 1952-1953
Back Row (L-R): Harvey Jacklin, Charlie Brooker, Jack McKenzie, Harry Psutka, Don Rope, Howie Lee.
Middle Row: Bill Tscherhart - Ass't Trainer, Ray Bauer - Sec. Treas., Bobby Schnurr, Paul Oliver, Keith Woodall, Bucky Buchanan, Maurice Levesque, John Rumpel - Executive Member, Harry Wharmsby - Trainer.
Front Row: Don Bauer, Art Hursst, Frank Neibert - Executive Member, Bobby Bauer - President, Clare Martin, Bob Rafferty - Coach, Dr. J. Spohn - Club Physician, Doug Verity, Greig Hicks.
Allan Cup Champions 1954-55
Back Row (L-R): Jim Logan, Clare Martin, Jack McKenzie, Charlie Brooker, Don Oberholtzer, Pete Kowalachuk, Howie Lee.
Middle Row: Geo. Lawson - Ass't Trainer, Buddy Horne, Joe Schertzel, Geo. Scholes, Bob White, John Rumpel - Club Executive, Mike Delich, Jack White, Jack Hamilton, Harry Wharmsby - Trainer.
From Row: Kieth Woodall, Ernie Goman - Manager, Gerry Theberge, Pat Boehmer - President, Bud Kemp - Captain, Bobby Bauer - Coach, Ken Laufman, Dr. Jim Spohn - Club Physician, Dennis Brodeur.
K-W YMCA VOLLEYBALL TEAM
Ontario Senior Open Champions 1932 to 1946
Carl Dunke, Jim McLeod, Alson Weber, Delton Kropf, Henry Ehns, Arthur Youngman, Tom Armour - Physical Director YMCA, Lloyd Current, Morton Devitt.
This team represented the K-W YMCA for the period 1934 to 1940. During that period, along with winning the Ontario Senior Open Championship each year, they won the Eastern Canadian Championship on the 3 occasions that it was held. They also won numerous International Tournaments involving Ontario and New York State teams, and in 1939, they competed in the United States National Championships in Detroit. They were defeated by Houston, Texas, the team that eventually won the USA National Championship.
Other persons who played on this team for short periods during the championship years 1932 to 1946 were: Karl Hoffman, Ed Wackett, Herb Schaus, Harold Ballantyne, Jack Hemphill, Ira Good, Lou Anderson, Nelson Beilstein, Russ Bricker and Jim Detweiler.
George Klinck, a native of Elmira, publisher, merchant and educator, had the distinction of being the founder in 1893, producer and editor of the highly regarded weekly newspaper, The Elmira Signet. He was the author of a book Early Days in Elmira.
At seventeen he had been apprenticed to the Pequegnat Clock Company in Berlin as a watchmaker. In 1881 he opened a watchmaking and jewellery business of his own in Elmira, and built a chopping mill as a service to farmers.
In 1885 he founded the Mechanics' Institute Library for workers; was instrumental in having electric street lights in Elmira in 1886; established St. Paul's Lutheran Parochial School in 1911; organized and played in the Elmira Band; served as reeve of Elmira; was the first chairman of the High School Board, secretary of the Public Library Board and a member of the Trustees and Ratepayers Section of the Ontario Educational Association.
The first free public school in Upper Canada was established in what had been Preston's 1839 school on Queen Street, Preston by Otto Klotz, in 1848. This native of Kiel, Denmark (later West Germany) came to Preston in the early 1830s, became a Provincial Land Surveyor, and later a magistrate.
He was a fervent advocate of a free public school system and was secretary of the school board from 1847 to 1892. In the 1850s he was School Commissioner of the District of Wellington. He prepared German grammar and test books which were used in the public schools of Berlin and Preston and later translated into English.
Klotz also operated the Central Hotel and a distillery. He was elected Honourary Grand Master of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Ontario.
OTTO JULIUS KLOTZ
A Preston native, Otto Julius Klotz, scientist and surveyor, at one time journeyed 2,000 miles in a canoe, making eighty-seven portages, while conducting a survey of ice and weather conditions along Hudson Strait and in Hudson Bay. With others, he was investigating for the government, the feasibility of a Hudson Bay route to Europe. He also made an Alaska- British Columbia boundary survey, and a survey of lands granted for the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway. He completed the first longitudinal girdle of the earth, was an expert in the sciences of earthquakes, and published ninety-nine papers on his work.
His diaries, which he maintained every day for more than fifty-seven years, are in the Dominion Archives.
Klotz, whose father was a famous Preston pioneer, attended Preston, Berlin and Galt schools and graduated from the University of Michigan in 1872. Following surveying for the government, he was appointed Dominion Astronomer in 1917.
J. STANLEY KNAPP
J. Stanley Knapp was born in Maxville and graduated from the Ontario Agricultural College. He became the second agricultural representative in Waterloo County, serving from 1914 to 1924. He started the first one-month short course in the province in 1915. This led to the formation of the first boys' and girls' agricultural clubs. He organized the first junior farmers' livestock judging competition.
He had a deep interest in good livestock which led to the establishment of the Holstein- Friesian and a Shorthorn breeder's associations in the county. He purchased a farm in the Galt area where he developed one of Ontario's top Ayrshire herds.
He was a member of the North Dumfries council from 1947 to 1956, serving as reeve and warden of the county in 1955-56. He was president of the South Waterloo Agricultural Society, president of the Central Dumfries Farmers' Club and secretary of the Galt Milk Board. Knapp was an elder of Wesley United Church.
DAVID "TUFFY" KNIGHT
The architect of successful football programs at both Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo, West Virginia native Dave "Tuffy" Knight went on to become the coach with the most wins in Canadian university football history.
Coming from a successful high school football scene in Ohio, Dave joined the Waterloo Lutheran University as Director of Athletics and basketball coach in 1965. Taking over as football coach in 1966, he made an early impact and won five league championships with the Golden Hawks from 1966 to 1978, and was National Intercollegiate Coach of the Year in 1972 and 1979.
Switching to the Canadian professional football scene with the Toronto Argonauts as Director of Player Personnel for a few years, Knight returned to the University coaching ranks, this time with the University of Waterloo in 1988. After a few losing seasons he built the Warriors into contenders, and won the league championship in 1997, was named CIAU coach of the year in 1989 and finished his coaching career in 1997 as the coach with the most wins in Canadian university football with 158 wins.
REV. ROBERT E. KNOWLES
The eloquence of the Rev. Robert E. Knowles was largely responsible for building Knox's Presbyterian Church, Galt, into the largest Presbyterian congregation in Canada during his incumbency.
The son of an Irish minister, Robert E. Knowles of Ballymena, he was born at Maxwell, Grey County, on March 30, 1868. He was educated at Dr. Tassie's School, Queen's University and Manitoba College, where he studied theology.
Ordained in 1891, he held two pastorates during his lifetime - Stewarton Presbyterian Church at Ottawa and Knox's Presbyterian, Galt. A distinguished traveller and lecturer, Knowles also became a writer. The best known of his literary works were: "The Attic Guest," "The Undertow," "St. Cuthberts," "The Dawn of Shanty Bay," "The Web of Time" and "The Singer of the Kootenay."
Knowles at one time preached a sermon on temperance that was believed to be largely responsible for the passing of the local option in Galt.
Hugo Kranz was, in 1871, a founding member and director of the Economical Mutual Fire Insurance Company, manager for twelve years and president for three.
Born at Lehrbach, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany, his father had been treasurer for a noble German family and brought his family to the USA in 1850 and to Berlin in 1855, where he opened a general store in partnership with Henry Stroh.
Kranz joined his father's business in 1858 and operated it after his father's death in 1875 until 1893.
A very public-spirited man, he became secretary of the fire department; high school board member for thirty years (twenty as secretary-treasurer); town clerk from 1859 to 1867; justice of the peace; member Board of Trade (president in 1890); reeve in 1869-70 and mayor from 1874 to 1878. He was a federal member of parliament under the Conservative banner from 1878 to 1887.
Hartman Krug, born in New Dundee, a son of Henry Krug who came to Canada in 1848, first established the famous Krug reputation as manufacturers of fine furniture.
He became an expert carpenter and joiner (cabinet maker) in New Dundee, and came to Berlin in the late 1870s. With great ability, zeal and energy, he started his career as a furniture manufacturer dedicated to quality and established a pioneer industry that became a leader in its field.
In the 1880s he founded the H. Krug Furniture Company and built the first section of the plant which eventually occupied two city blocks. In 1916 he purchased a Doon twine and cordage company which was moved to Kitchener and named Doon Twines Limited.
At his death in 1933, three of Krug's sons were executive officers of his companies and, like their father, were active in community affairs, supporting many worthy civic projects.
MABEL EMLIE KRUG
The contributions of Mabel Krug to civic, provincial and national life encompass all humanity. Coming to Canada from the USA in 1912, she married Henry Krug in 1924, a Kitchener industrialist.
Krug was given a special citation in 1975 for her outstanding service, locally, provincially, and nationally, to the Canadian Cancer Society, of which she is a National Honourary Life member.
Krug also held executive positions with the Canadian Opera Company; the Canadian Opera Guild; the Dominion Drama Festival; the Edward Johnson Music Foundation; the K-W Symphony Orchestra Association; the Carmel of St. Joseph Guild; the K-W Art Gallery; the Catholic Women's League and the Sunbeam Home for Retarded Children. She also served on the Board of Wilfrid Laurier University.
Krug was named Woman of the Year by the K-W Quota Club in 1958, and Citizen of the Year by the K-W Jaycees in 1963; was awarded the Centennial Medal of Canada in 1967; the Kitchener Medallion in 1969 and was made a member of the Order of Canada in 1972.
The name of Glenn Kruspe has always been synonymous with music in the Region of Waterloo. In 1949 he received his Doctor of Music degree from the University of Toronto. He spent a year at the Royal College of Music, London, England, and graduated as an associate of the college and associate of the Royal College of Organists.
The Tavistock native was an organist at Wesley United Church, Brantford, for four years and at the Zion Evangelical Church (now Zion United) from 1933 to 1969. He was founder-conductor of the K-W Symphony Orchestra and served as conductor from 1945 to 1960. He directed the K- W Philharmonic choir from 1941 to 1960.
During his musical career, Kruspe composed a symphony in four movements and several choral numbers for choirs. He always adhered to the highest standards of musicianship and his work has personally benefited countless young musicians and adults through the years. Few musicians in Canada have contributed as much to a community's musical development as has Kruspe.
Katherina Kubenk was born in Toronto in 1970 and grew up in Kitchener, attending Eastwood Collegiate.
Kubenk trained for freestyle skiing and competed internationally starting in 1987 at the International Youth Championships in Finland. She was a member of the Canadian Freestyle Ski Team from 1988 to 1998.
From 1990 to 1996, Kubenk competed regularly in World Cup international competitions of the Fédération Internationale de Ski, and had top three placings 32 times, including 10 gold medals, earning her World Champion status. She won the FIS World Cup Overall Title in 1993 and 1996, and Kubenk was World Champion in 1993.
As an accomplished Freestyle Skier, Kubenk competed in Moguls and Aerials for Canada at the 1994 Olympics in Lillehammer.
In 2008, Kubenk was appointed as the Technical Director of the Canadian Freestyle Ski Association in Vancouver.
ROBERT JOHN "BOBBY" KUNTZ
As an outstanding Canadian football player for ten seasons, Bobby Kuntz began his career in 1953 with the Kitchener Dutchmen in the Senior Ontario Rugby Football Union. This team won two provincial championships.
He turned professional with Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League. After five seasons with Toronto he joined the Hamilton Tiger Cats and concluded his football career at the end of the 1966 season.
Kuntz was a sensational two-way player, performing at full back or line backer with equal ability. His enthusiasm and electrifying style of play led to nine consecutive selections as a member of the Canadian All Star Team. He was a member of two Hamilton Grey Cup championship teams (1963 and 1965) and on two other occasions (1962 and 1964) was on the losing side in the Canadian final.
Kuntz was born in 1932 in Detroit and came to Kitchener with his parents at an early age. After his retirement from football in 1966 he was associated with the family business, Kuntz Electroplating Ltd. in Kitchener.
HENRY GEORGE LACKNER MD, CM
Dr. Henry George Lackner, whose father was a German pioneer farmer, was an early general practitioner who had the esteem and affection of countless patients throughout Western Ontario. He served two generations with immense ability, tireless energy, keen insight and understanding.
Born in Hawkesville in 1851, he graduated from the Toronto School of Medicine in 1876. On graduating from the University of Toronto he was awarded the Starr gold medal and the first silver medal - the only doctor in Ontario at that time to win both medals on graduation. He practiced in Berlin for almost half a century, was for many years Medical Officer of Health and physician to the House of Refuge.
He was a member of the town council and mayor for six years. A Conservative, he represented North Waterloo in the Ontario Legislature. He was sheriff of Waterloo County from 1912 until his death.
Four generations of Lackners have been outstanding members of the medical profession.
KATHRYN HANSULD LAMB
Kathryn Hansuld Lamb was born in Toronto and grew up on the Oxford County farm where her family has lived since 1862. After attending Woodstock Collegiate Institute, she graduated from the University of Western Ontario with Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism.
Lamb was hired by the Kitchener-Waterloo Record in 1951. One of her long-standing assignments was her weekly column called "Party Line" which ran from 1951 until 1991. Originally intended as a forum for Women's Institutes, the column expanded to include rural issues throughout the Region of Waterloo and southwestern Ontario. Using her weekly column, she enlightened readers about the many fascinating people and places in the Region of Waterloo. She is the author of The Quiet Hobby.
Lamb was President of the Waterloo Historical Society in 1972-73, and she is currently the Chairman of the Society's Publication Committee which is responsible for their Annual Volume of historical research. As well, she was a founding member of the Pennsylvania German Folklore Society and the Waterloo Regional Heritage Foundation. Serving as Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Waterloo County Hall of Fame from 1988 until 1992, Lamb was also a member of the Hall of Fame's research committee for many years. She held offices in the United Church of Canada on congregation, presbytery and conference levels.
A life member of the Helena Feasby Women's Institute, Lamb served as President and contributed articles for the Tweedsmuir History. She was a founding member of the Kitchener-Waterloo Garden Club. As well, she was a member of the founding executive committee of the Kitchener-Waterloo area chapter of The Thyroid Foundation of Canada. Lamb's commitment to community service has been recognized by a 1981 Oktoberfest Woman of the Year Award; a 1983 Kitchener Award of Merit and an Outstanding Achievement Award from the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship, Culture and Recreation in 1996. Lamb lives in the Bridgeport area of Kitchener with her husband Richard.
Photograph by Forde Studio Photographers.
Lang, the former Gertrude Dietrich, was born in Galt. As a teenager she founded the Silver Star Society in 1891, a Galt philanthropic organization, serving as its treasurer for sixty-three years.
In the Girl Guide association, she was a district commissioner for twenty-four years and a member of the Ontario executive for twenty-one years, being awarded the Medal of Merit and the Bronze Beaver, the highest award in Guiding.
Lang was very active in the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire at the provincial and national levels. She was one of the founders of the Galt Shakespeare Club and later became a patroness of the Stratford Shakespearean Festival.
Lang was active in the Red Cross Society, the hospital auxiliary, the Children's Aid Society, the Galt Family Service Bureau, the South Waterloo Humane Society and the Canadian Cancer Society.
LOUIS LACOURSE LANG
Louis LaCourse Lang, a native of Kitchener, was educated in Kitchener and at De La Salle Institute, Chicago. He became a leading figure in civic, business, church and welfare activities in Waterloo County and was well- known throughout Canada.
Lang was associated with Mutual Life Assurance Company from 1921, becoming president in 1943; chairman of the board in 1958 and honourary board chairman in 1965. He was a vice-president and director of Lang Tanning Co., Ltd. founded by his grandfather, Reinhold Lang.
On the national scene, Lang was senior vice-president of the Bank of Montreal and a director of the CPR. He served as president of the Canadian Manufacturers' Association.
Lang was co-founder of the Freeport Sanatorium, honourary president of the Ontario division of the Canadian Cancer Society and a member of the board of governors of the Ontario Research Foundation. He contributed to the building of Canadian youth through his keen interest in the Boy Scouts Association, both in local and national activities. He held the Silver Wolf Badge. He was the first in the Hamilton diocese to become a Knight Commander of St. Gregory, the highest honour bestowed on laymen by the Roman Catholic Church.
Reinhold Lang came to Berlin from a small village in the German Rhineland and, in 1849, with his eldest son, George, established a small tannery.
Lang's tannery was located on Foundry (now Ontario) Street in Berlin. He later moved it to an area with a natural spring between Wilmot (now Victoria) and Francis Streets, on which no buildings had previously been erected. This area was chosen because an adequate water supply for the tannery was obtained by digging a twelve feet by twelve feet hole.
The Lang Tannery became the largest sole leather producer in the British Empire.
Lang was a member of the Berlin Council in 1859 when it was decided to dispense with remuneration to councillors because village finances were very low.
JAMES CAMPBELL LAW
Born on February 4, 1912, this native of Galt amassed an exemplary record of local, provincial, national and continental bowling titles.
Starting at the George Street Lawn Bowling Club, Law began to show his skill at the age of 15 when he won his first tournament at Dundas. He won the Ontario District #7 championship thirty-four times and the Ontario title ten times, once as a singles player, once as a skip of a pair team and the other times as vice-skip or skip of a four team.
In doubles pair and fours team events, Law won the Canadian title four times and was runner-up on four occasions. Awarded a gold medal in the USA National Open tournament in both the doubles pair and fours team. He also won a gold medal at the Ontario Summer Games in Ottawa. He received an athletic award from Kitchener and was the first Cambridge Athlete of the Year.
RIAL GEORGE RUTTER "BARNEY" LAWRENCE
Barney Lawrence was born in Ottawa in 1925 and came to Kitchener in 1951 to practice law.
During his college days he was a member of the University of Toronto intercollegiate team and was later a nationally ranked squash player in both doubles and singles. He was Ontario amateur squash champion in 1962.
He played on the Canadian Lapham Cup Team against the United States about seventeen times between 1950-1984, and was captain in 1967 and 1981. He is the holder of many Canadian, Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia and Western Canadian titles.
In 1962 Lawrence established the Kitchener-Waterloo Racquet Club, the first in the area, and served as president for seven years. Since the opening of the physical education complex at the University of Waterloo, where he was instrumental in having the first glass-walled courts for spectator viewing, the squash program has been aided by Lawrence. He was coach of the college team which has won many championships.
LISA BAUER LEAHY
Lisa Bauer Leahy was born in Kitchener in 1960. A daughter of a famous Waterloo athletic family, Leahy earned her recognition as a field hockey player at the University of Waterloo. She was the University of Waterloo's all-time leading scorer, co-captain for three years and Most Valuable Player for two years and she was named a first-team All-Canadian in 1983.
Leahy was named the University of Waterloo's Female Athlete of the Year in 1984 and served as a student representative on the University's Athletic Directorate. She was inducted into the University's Hall of Fame in 1984. Lisa was a member of Canada's Olympic Team that competed at the Los Angeles Olympic Games in 1984.
Leahy successfully co-chaired the campaign to raise funds for the Waterloo Recreation Complex.
She and her husband Frank Leahy live in Waterloo with their five children.
JAMES PARIS LEE
The famous Lee rifle and the first Remington typewriter were invented by James P. Lee, son of a Scottish immigrant who came to Galt in 1836.
Lee showed a great interest in firearms and while experimenting in Dickson's Bush injured his foot, causing a permanent limp.
At 19 years of age he went to Milwaukee and there invented the Lee rifle. He was asked by the British government to consult with a certain Mr. Metford who had been commissioned to produce a gun suitable for the infantry and cavalry. Metford chose Lee's gun and it became known as the Lee-Metford rifle.
Lee also invented the Lee-Enfield rifle that was used by the British in the Boer War, and in the First and Second World Wars. The rifle was also used by the USA, China, Spain, Denmark and Mexico.
IAN DONALD LEGGATT
Ian Donald Leggatt was born in Cambridge in 1965. Leggatt become involved in speed skating at age seven, winning many National and International Awards while representing Canada. He also became a member of Puslinch Lake Golf Club at age seven, and won the Club championship four times. Moving to the Galt Country Club, where he played for several years, Leggatt won the Club Championship three times.
Leggatt attended Texas Wesleyan University, graduating in 1990 in Sports Management, and attained National Association Intercollegiate Athletes All-American in 1988-1989. He won Ontario Matchplay in 1988 and he qualified for the Professional Golf Association in 1990. Through the 1990s, Leggatt played the Canadian, South African, South American, Asian and Australian Professional Golf Tours. He was a rookie member of the Buy.Com Tour in 2000 finishing fifth, and he won the Buy.Com Dayton Open U.S. PGA Tour as Rookie in 2001.
He won the 2002 Touchstone Energy Tucson Open and tied for eighteenth at the Bell Canada Open. He finished twentieth in the U.S. Open in 2003. Leggatt was a member of the Canadian World Cup Team 1998 at New Zealand finishing individual sixth overall.
Leggatt works with children with disabilities through Ronald
McDonald's Children's Charities. He lives in Scottsdale, Arizona
with his wife Lori and their daughter Mia.
Photo - TaylorMade
Twenty-one years between the posts, with nineteen of them in the pro ranks, rates Hughie Lehman a merit award alone. He was one of the outstanding goalkeepers of his day, and though slight in build, was a fiery competitor.
Born in Pembroke in 1885, he broke into hockey in his hometown, his team winning the Citizen Shield in 1906. The next year he was at Sault Ste. Marie in the old International League. He returned to Pembroke in 1907 to play semi-pro but moved to Kitchener in the Trolley League.
When the Patricks formed the Pacific Coast League, it was Frank who was quick to sign Lehman for New Westminster, for three years before joining Vancouver. From 1911 to 1926 he guarded the nets and played in five Stanley Cup series, winning one in 1915. He played for two Stanley Cup challengers within two months, being the only other man to do so. He played for Galt against Ottawa and then Kitchener against Wanderers, losing both of them.
He died in Toronto in April of 1961.
Kerry Leitch was born on March 5, 1941 in Woodstock. He wanted to be a professional hockey player and joined a skating club to improve his skating. He played baseball for two years on the farm teams of the New York Yankees and the St. Louis Cardinals.
He started teaching figure skating when he was seventeen. Since taking charge of the coaching at the Preston Figure Skating Club in 1964, he has coached many students to national and international championships. When the Leitch team won eleven medals at the Canadian Figure Skating Championships in Regina in January 1984, the Preston Club was acclaimed for establishing a national record.
The grand total of competitions his skaters have won include 204 gold medals, 193 silver medals and 165 bronze medals.
He operates the Kerry Leitch Figure Skating Schools Inc.
Lennox Lewis, a native of England, was raised in Kitchener. At Cameron Heights Collegiate he excelled in football and basketball. He was a member of the starting team that won the Ontario Basketball championship in 1983.
His interest in boxing was nurtured in local clubs. He won his class in the British Commonwealth Games in 1986, the Canadian amateur title in March 1988, and the North American championship in August 1988. His biggest win was the Olympic Gold Medal for Canada in the super heavyweight division at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, Korea. He was named to the Order of Canada in January 1989, and he was a 1989 recipient of the Harry Jerome Award given to Black Canadians for outstanding achievement.
Lewis began fighting as a Briton after returning to England when he turned professional shortly after the Olympics. Lewis won the European heavyweight title in 1990, the British heavyweight title in 1990, the Commonwealth heavyweight title in 1992, and he was named the WBC champion in 1992. He regained the WBC title in 1997 after losing it in 1994, and he captured the undisputed world heavyweight title in 1999. He regained his WBC and IBF heavyweight titles in 2001.
He was named to commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 2002 New Year's Honour List. Lewis retired as the reigning heavyweight champion in February 2004 with a 41-2-1 record.
Carl Liscombe was born in Perth, Ontario and arrived in Galt a year later. He became proficient in all sports and was outstanding in hockey. He played OHA hockey with Galt junior and intermediate teams and senior with Hamilton Tigers where he was the leading scorer. Liscombe then played nine full seasons with the Detroit Red Wings of the National Hockey League.
In his first full season with Detroit, Liscombe led the club in scoring and was runner-up in the selection of the league's "Rookie-of-the-Year" award. In 1939 he set an NHL record which stood for fourteen years for the fastest "three goals scored." Liscombe set another record, which he held for three years, when he accumulated seven scoring points in a single game. In 1934 he was selected as the most valuable player for the Red Wings.
Liscombe finished fifteen years of professional hockey with the Providence Reds of the American Hockey League. He was twice elected the league's most valuable player. On one occasion, he set a league record by getting 118 points.
This minister of the Amish congregation in Wilmot Township, ordained in 1845, came from Alsace in 1829 and was made bishop in 1850. Early settlers of all faiths found him A a tower of strength in times of tribulations. His ecumenical spirit was shown in relations with other denominations.
When Peter Litwiller's funeral procession of 200 carriages and a multitude on foot passed through St. Agatha, Father Eugene Funcken, R.C. parish priest, tolled the bells of his church and he penned the following tribute: A People from almost every walk of life were present at his funeral service, which should prove that in the eyes of those who did not share his beliefs he must have been considered a Christian in the finest sense of the word.
James Livingston arrived penniless from Scotland in the 1860s but eventually became a leading industrialist known as A The Flax and Linseed Oil King. He also manufactured Livingston cars but produced only five.
After a year at the trade of weaving he became foreman for the Perine Conestogo flax mill and later processed flax for linen and linseed oil in his own plant at Baden, owning most of the village in 1877. He bought out competitors, forming Dominion Linseed Company, and had plants throughout Canada and holdings in industries producing linen and hemp in the USA and England.
He was reeve of Wilmot Township for several terms. In 1879 he was Liberal member of the Ontario Legislature for South Waterloo, and later, as a federal member, served as Minister of Mines and Northern Affairs in Sir Wilfrid Laurier's cabinet.
Always community-minded, he promoted the Baden Band and built the Livingston Presbyterian Church.
Distinguished service as a Director of Doon Pioneer Village and as a member of the Selection Committee for the Hall of Fame was given by Gordon Loney, born at Metcalfe, Ontario, who had an outstanding career in the educational field.
His 50 years of service to scouting brought him the Medal of Merit and the organization's highest order, the Silver Acorn. He was district Commissioner, and in 1945 organized and conducted leadership training courses for Boy Scout leaders in Alberta and British Columbia. He was awarded the Centennial Medal in 1967.
Graduating from the Ottawa Normal School, he taught at several local schools, including Courtland Avenue, Victoria and Suddaby in Kitchener. He was principal at Courtland, Preuter, and Smithson Schools, retiring in 1967. He served the local and provincial Men Teacher's Federation, was Provincial President for two years and a member of the first Board of Governors.
Loney was a director of the Red Cross Society and Warden at St. John's Anglican Church.
Jim Lorentz was born in 1947 and lived in Waterloo as a youth. He played minor hockey, including on the Sutherland Cup winning Waterloo Siskins in 1964. At 17 years of age he left home to play Junior "A" hockey for the Niagara Falls Flyers for three seasons, playing on the Memorial Cup winning team in 1965.
Lorentz turned professional with the Oklahoma City Blazers, winning the Central Hockey League rookie of the year honours in 1966-67 and league MVP the following season.
In 1968-69, Lorentz joined the Boston Bruins of the National Hockey League and was a member of the 1970 Stanley Cup Championship team. In ensuing years he was traded and played for the St. Louis Blues, New York Rangers and the Buffalo Sabres where he established himself as a bona-fide NHLer and retired from the Sabres following the 1977-78 season. His ten year career in the NHL included more than 700 regular-season and play-off games where he amassed more than 400 points in scoring. Lorentz was twice the winner of the Unsung Hero award with the Buffalo Sabres.
Lorentz was inducted into the Buffalo Sabres Hall of Fame in 2010 and the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame in 2011. Following his retirement as a player, Lorentz became a sports telecaster, joining the Buffalo Sabres broadcast team for 27 years. He has recently completed a book on Atlantic salmon fishing, and has won several writing awards for magazine stories and articles about fly fishing.
Photo by Robert Shaver
Norman Lynn, born in Colborne, Ontario, was a local entrepreneur and community activist who worked throughout his life to bridge the gap between Chinese and Canadian culture.
Lynn was the founding chair of the K-W Multicultural Centre, and worked hard to establish race relations training in schools and social services for newcomers to the community. He also helped to found the Central Ontario Chinese Cultural Centre, and served with national organizations such as the Canadian Consultative Council on Multiculturalism and the Chinese National Council.
In 1948, Lynn and his father opened Lynn's, one of the first Chinese restaurants in Kitchener, and he owned Top's Tavern, a popular restaurant in downtown Kitchener from the 1950s to the 1980s.
Lynn was known for his fund raising efforts. He worked with other local restaurateurs to mark Canada's centennial with a fund raising event for K-W Federated Appeal, and he raised funds for the victims of the 1974 Cambridge flood, the victims of tornados in Woodstock and Barrie, as well as funds for the construction of the Centre in the Square and K-W Hospital.
Upon his death, Lynn was remembered as the most respected man in the local Chinese-Canadian community for his many efforts to better the community. In 2005, the KW Multicultural Centre named their new building in honour of Norman Lynn.
Photograph David McCammon, Photography, Waterloo