Inductees - G to I
GALT CURLING CLUB - 1948 Brier Rink
The province of Ontario was divided into eight districts; each district had an elimination play-off to declare a winner. The eight district winners then met in a knockout competition to declare the provincial winners to represent Ontario in the National Finals for the MacDonald Brier trophy at Calgary, Alberta in 1948.
The Galt Curling Club rink won their district. There were seventeen rinks entered in the district play-offs. (Galt, Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, Fergus, Ayr and Plattsville). All games were twelve ends.
The eight district winners met at the Thistle Curling Club in Hamilton for the elimination play-offs to declare the Ontario Champions. The Galt rink eliminated Oshawa, Sarnia and Hamilton Thistle rinks and were Ontario's representative in the National finals.
The rules in the Dominion finals were a round robin play-off, playing each province once. The Ontario rink, as the Galt rink was then known, finished third. British Columbia won the 1948 Championship.
Angus Oliver - Lead, Walter MacGregor - Second, W.A. Meyer - Third, Jack Patrick - Sr., Skip.
GALT COUNTRY CLUB SENIORS LADIES CURLING TEAM
The Galt Country Club Seniors Ladies Curling Team holds numerous provincial, national and international championships, including Ontario Senior Ladies Champions in 2001, 2002 and 2004; Canadian Senior Ladies Champions in 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2006; and World Senior Ladies Champions in 2002 and 2004.
Skip: Anne Dunn
Vice: Lindy Marchuk
Second: Gloria Campbell
Lead: Fran Todd
Fifth: Carol Thompson
1904 GALT FOOTBALL CLUB
The Galt Football Club won the gold medal in soccer at the 1904 Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri.
The Galt Football Club competed against two American teams. They beat the Christian Brothers' College team 7-0 and St. Rose team 4-0.
Photograph Courtesy of Waterloo Region Museum.
In 1800 Frederick Gaukel of Wurtemberg, Germany, arrived at Amsterdam too late to join a whaling expedition to the Arctic. Finding a sailing vessel going to Philadelphia, he allowed himself to be sold under the hammer to the highest bidder for a service period of three years, to pay for the voyage across the ocean. Eventually he was sold to a farmer.
Gaukel immigrated to Canada, arriving at Preston where he worked in a distillery. Later he moved to a small farm near Bridgeport and erected a log cabin and barn and a small distillery. In 1819 he moved to Berlin and in 1833 started Gaukel's Tavern, later the site of the Walper House.
Gaukel was a civic-minded citizen and donated the property bounded by Queen, Weber and Frederick Streets on which the 1852 County Building was erected. This building was demolished when the present County Building was erected in 1965. Two of Kitchener's streets, Frederick and Gaukel, bear his name.
Mary Gay was born in Toronto on September 16, 1931 and showed an early aptitude for golf. She started playing at the Waterloo County Golf and Country Club, Galt, at the age of thirteen. She won the ladies' club championship at age sixteen in 1947, and the Hamilton and district championship in 1951. She played tournament golf for the next eight years.
Gay was Ontario champion in 1952 and runner-up three times. She was runner-up three times in the Canadian Close Championship and five times in the Canadian Open Championship. She was an inter- provincial team member for Ontario (three times) and Alberta (twice). She represented Canada on ladies' golf teams in international competition in Great Britain in 1953 and 1959. In 1952 she was runner-up to Marlene Streit for the Canadian Female Athlete of the Year award.
In curling, Gay skipped the winning rinks in 1962 and 1963 in the Ontario Business Women's championship.
Gay worked for Mutual Life Assurance Company of Canada. She was a member of the Westmount Golf and Country Club since 1952.
Eugene George was born in Kitchener in 1930.
In 1963 the New York Rangers approached George about moving its junior farm team from Guelph to Kitchener. George spearheaded a community campaign that successfully brought the Kitchener Rangers to the community. In 1967, the National Hockey League ended its sponsorship of junior teams, and the Kitchener Rangers team was offered for sale to George for one dollar. George bought but transferred ownership of the team to a not-for-profit corporation, which still owns the Rangers hockey club today. George is considered the founder of the Kitchener Rangers organization, considered by many as the strongest junior hockey franchise in Canada.
In his professional career, George is the CEO of G&A Masonry, and he has operated a building supply company and a manufacturer of rough-terrain forklifts. He has served as founding president of both the Canadian and Ontario masonry contractor's associations and he was the first Canadian to be president of the Masonry Contractor Association of America and the International Masonry Institute in Washington, DC.
George's company is international in scope, having been involved in the construction of buildings across North America, including projects at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal and the award-winning National Museum of the American Indian in Washington. In 2008, he was inducted into the Grand Valley Construction Association's Hall of Fame.
George and his wife Patti have eight sons.
JOHN L. GIBSON DDS
John Liddle Gibson was born in Berlin in the late 1870s and during his early years lived in the Spring Valley area.
His illustrious hockey career started about 1897 as a player on the Berlin team, the first to win the OHA. Intermediate championship. He later played in the Senior Series. Being then considered one of the game's best players, he was invited to organize a professional league in Northern Michigan. He moved to Houghton to do so and play for that city. Teams were formed in other area cities. Other prominent players were imported from Canada. The area was "hockey mad," the quality of hockey was good and exciting. Gibson proved to be a capable organizer and again a star player in his new environment. He graduated from the Detroit Dental College and opened an office in Houghton where he practiced until moving to Calgary in 1909.
Gibson excelled in other sports. For several years he starred on the famous Berlin Ranger Football (soccer) team, also on the Berlin Baseball team. Amongst the many fine athletes native to this area, he undoubtedly was one of the greatest.
He served in the Canadian Forces during World War I and was wounded in 1916. He died in Calgary in 1954.
Robert Gilholm, a former mayor of Galt, was born in North Dumfries Township in 1833. His parents came from Northumberlandshire and settled on a farm near Galt in 1832.
In 1859 Gilholm and George Hogg purchased a sawmill on Harris Street, Galt, from Andrew Dryden and operated it until 1900.
In 1883 he was appointed to the town council, served as alderman for a number of years, and as mayor in 1893 and 1894. He was also on the County council and was warden in 1892. He was a Liberal.
Gilholm was one of the original members of Central Presbyterian Church and was very influential in having the 1880 church erected. He was held in high regard by all with whom he came into contact.
David Goldie was thirteen when his famous Scottish father, John Goldie, botanist, who had been sent to Canada in 1817-19 by the Glasgow Botanical Society to study the flora of North America, brought his family to Greenfield, near Ayr, in 1844. His diary of his visit to Canada is treasured by botanists and historians.
Like true pioneers John Goldie and his sons had a desperate struggle to make ends meet until they built a small flour mill in 1857. Goldies completed a much larger mill in 1863 which brought financial success and made it possible to build The Gore, a family home, in Ayr.
When Goldie died in 1894, his wife was left with ten children. A very competent woman, she played a vital part in the social and educational life of the village.
When his parents came from Ayrshire, Scotland to settle on a farm at Greenfield, near Ayr, in 1844, Goldie had interests other than those of farming, and his name eventually became part of an internationally known manufacturing firm, Goldie-McCulloch Ltd.
A millwright, he worked in the Dumfries Foundry at Galt, which he and Hugh McCulloch bought in 1859. The firm of Goldie and McCulloch which started with twenty-two employees, grew rapidly and eventually did business in many countries.
He was vice-president of the Hospital Trust for several years and he and McCulloch presented the Trust with enough money to buy the site on which the first hospital in the city was erected.
A member of the Astronomical Society of Ontario, Goldie maintained an excellent observatory fitted with the latest scientific equipment.
John Goldie was born in Ayrshire, Scotland in 1793. He became a renowned botanist, plant collector and introducer of new species to horticulture. Goldie's Fern bears his name. His first botanic expedition to Canada and the United States took place in 1817-1819. Near Lake Simcoe he collected three of the fourteen species which he found that were new to science. He made two botanic trips to Russia before his second North American journey in 1833.
The family immigrated to Ontario in 1844 and founded mills at Greenfield, near Ayr. Goldie established one of the earliest nurseries in Ontario. He sent rare and hitherto uncultivated species to England in exchange for choice or new cultivars. He was in his 90s when his son David built The Gore in Ayr where he planned the landscaping and supervised its installation.
Jeff Goldsworthy was born in Kitchener in 1959. In 1965, he started playing badminton at the KW Granite Club. From 1975 to 1978, he was selected to the All Ontario Badminton Team and during this time he was twice Ontario High School Champion in singles and once mixed doubles champion.
Goldsworthy was a member for three years of the All Canadian High School Badminton Team and he was also the Ontario University Amateur Athletics Singles Champion twice. In 1978 he was the Canadian Junior Singles and Doubles Champion. In 1994 he was Canadian Masters Champion in the over thirty-five age category. In 1997 he won the Masters 35+ Singles and Doubles in the Yonex US Open.
He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology from the University of Waterloo and he graduated as a Doctor of Chiropractic medicine in 1987. Goldsworthy and his wife and their three children live in Waterloo.
Photograph from the Forde Studio, Kitchener, Ontario
WILLIAM (BILL) ALFRED GOLDSWORTHY
Bill Goldsworthy played right wing for the minor and junior hockey leagues in Waterloo and then advanced to play Junior A hockey in Niagara Falls, competing twice in the Memorial Cup. He was on the 1965 Memorial Cup championship team.
Goldsworthy began his professional hockey career with the Boston Bruins and was selected in the expansion draft in 1997 by the Minnesota North Stars. He was a member of Team Canada for the 1972 Summit Series against the Russians.
Goldsworthy played 14 years in the National Hockey League, scoring 283 goals and 258 assists for 541 points in 771 games. He was chosen an All-Star player four times. He served as Captain of the North Stars for three years and he is regarded as one of the most popular North Stars of all time. Goldsworthy began a trend with the post-score dance which was coined The Goldy Shuffle. Goldsworthy's No. 8 jersey was retired by the North Stars in 1992.
Goldsworthy passed away in 1996; however his legend has lived on, as he has been selected by the Minnesota Wild as one of the Minnesota Greats. Goldsworthy has three grand daughters and one grandson all who play hockey Goldy style.
Photo courtesy of the Hockey Hall of Fame.
ERNST "ERNIE" F. GOMAN
Ernie Goman was born in Renfrew County and graduated from Waterloo College with an honours BA in French and German.
Goman coached and managed in the Waterloo Baseball Association and in juvenile and midget hockey leagues. He became the first president of the K-W Boys' Hockey Association. He ran junior, intermediate and Waterloo Tigers baseball teams and was manager of the Kitchener Panther Senior Baseball Club.
He was general manager of the K-W Dutchmen Hockey Club for seven years and the 1956 and 1960 Canadian Olympic hockey teams. He was general chairman of the 1975 national mixed curling championships of Canada.
Goman is past president of the Waterloo Baseball Association, the K-W Granite Club, the K-W Athletic Association, the Waterloo Lions' Club and the Waterloo County Life Underwriters. In 1956 he received a gold medal from the International Hockey Association and later a gold stick award from the Ontario Hockey Association.
He was associated with the Equitable Life Insurance Co. for fifty years.
MILTON R. GOOD
Milton R. Good was born in 1911 in Waterloo Township. After completing a commercial course at Kitchener-Waterloo Collegiate and Vocational School, he worked for the Royal Bank for twenty-one years. In 1948, he joined H. Boehmer and Company where he became President and General Manager.
His record of service to the community is impressive. He was first chairman of the Board of Governors of Conrad Grebel College on which he served for twenty-one years. He was involved with the founding of Fairview Mennonite Home, Rockway Mennonite Collegiate, Mennonite Mutual Aid, Eastwood Mennonite Community Homes Inc. and the Mennonite Publishing Service. He was president of the K-W Symphony Orchestra and chaired the committee which raised the final $2.5 million to finance Kitchener's Centre in the Square.
Good established the charitable Good Foundation in 1974 and assisted in the management of the Eastwood Community, Kitchener. He was guest of honour at the Mayor's Dinner in 1995.
Photograph by BELAIR, Kitchener
VERA M. GOOD
Vera M. Good was born on a farm north of Waterloo in 1914. She left school at Grade 8 and while working for Kaufman Rubber Co., completed Grades 9-12 by private study. She took Grade 13 at K-W Collegiate Institute and won a scholarship.
After completing a one-year course in teacher education, she taught for two years and worked with the Mennonite Relief Association in India in the 1940s. She earned a degree in Social Work and Education from Goshen College, Indiana and an M.A. in education (gifted children) at Northwestern University, Illinois.
Good was one of the first women's principals in Etobicoke and was the first woman supervisor of education in the Province. After completing her PhD at Columbia University, she was appointed an inspector for the Ontario Ministry of Education. She was a department head at TV Ontario for fifteen years and after retirement helped set up educational networks in Jamaica and Belize.
ARTHUR RUSSEL GOUDIE
A.R. Goudie was founder of one of western Ontario's largest family-owned department stores, Goudies, Ltd. He was among the first in Canada to encourage employees to be shareholders.
A charter member of the Ontario Pioneer Community Foundation, he donated the Dry Goods and Grocery Store to Doon Pioneer Village.
A native of Hespeler, he began his career as an apprentice to the Forbes woollen mills. He later travelled for the Ontario Button Company.
In 1909, he became manager and vice-president of Weseloh-Goudies, Ltd. When the store was destroyed by fire in 1918, Mr. Goudie rebuilt it as Goudies, Ltd.
He served as Ontario and national president of the Ontario Retail Merchants Association. An active supporter of many community organizations, Goudie's generosity made possible the building of the A.R. Goudie Eventide Home in Kitchener.
HARVEY JOHN GRABER
Harvey John Graber was born in Berlin (Kitchener) in 1888. He was elected a commissioner of the Public Utilities Commission in 1936 and served for eighteen years. He was chairman from 1938-1946 and was again chairman at the time of his death. While he was chairman, the first trolley bus service was instituted in Kitchener-Waterloo and the east end transit terminal was built.
In 1949 he ran unsuccessfully as a Conservative Party candidate in the provincial election.
In 1954 the opening of the Harvey J. Graber transformer station hailed Kitchener as the first municipality in Ontario to transform its own high tension power. A leader in the Lutheran Church, he was a member of the Canada Synod ' s executive committee, president of the Lutheran Brotherhood and a member of the board of governors of Waterloo College and Seminary.
FRENDY GRAHAM 1898-1969
WILBUR KRESS 1901-1963
Graham and Kress were considered two of the best baseball pitchers in Canada in the 1920s when playing for the Galt Terriers in an era in which Senior Baseball in Ontario was of high caliber. The Terriers won the Senior Inter-County and Ontario Association Championships in 1922 and 1923 behind the effective pitching of these two players.
Graham was born in Petrolia, Ontario in 1898. He moved to Galt when a young boy where he played all his baseball and where he died in 1969.
Kress was born in Preston in 1901. His entire baseball career was spent in Preston as a member of a championship junior team and then with the Galt Senior Club.
CHARLES E. GREB
Charles E. Greb was born in Kitchener. He started his business career with Greb Shoes Limited, a family company that grew into Canada's largest shoe manufacturing company by the time it was sold in 1976. Greb later became CEO of Musitron Communications which under his presidency became part of Grebco Holdings Ltd. He was also director and chairman of Skyjack Inc. of Guelph; director and chairman of Virtek Vision International Inc. of Waterloo; and managing partner of Woodside Fund, a California Venture Capital Partnership.
Greb was a life member and former chairman of the National Council of YMCAs of Canada; a director for 50 years and President of the YMCA of Kitchener-Waterloo; an Honorary Life Member of the K-W Hospital Foundation; president of Kitchener Chamber of Commerce; a founding director and secretary of the Chamber of Commerce of Kitchener & Waterloo; chairman of the Ontario Summer Games; a founding member and president of K-W Oktoberfest; vice-chairman of CAA Ontario; chairman of CAA Mid-Western Ontario; president of Junior Achievement of the Waterloo Region; chairman of Junior Achievement of Canada; founding chairman Rotary Community Resource Village; a member of the Board of Governors of St. Paul's College, University of Waterloo, and member of the Board of Regents of Luther College, University of Regina; chairman of Kitchener Memorial Auditorium Board of Management; chairman of Kitchener Economic Development Board.
He received many awards including Kitchener Citizen of the Year; Province of Ontario Bicentennial Medal; Ontario Volunteer Service gold award; Canada 125th Anniversary medal for contributions to Canada; Companion of the Fellowship of Honour YMCA Canada; Lou Buckley Award - K-W YMCA; and Paul Harris Fellow of Rotary International for work with youth.
Photograph Courtesy of Forde Studio Photographers, Kitchener
HARRY DOUGLAS GREB
Harry Douglas Greb was born in Kitchener. For more than thirty years, he guided Greb Industries Limited, the family business founded by his father Erwin Greb in 1912. Greb began his career as a bookkeeper with the company in 1932. His father retired in 1940, and Harry took over active management of the company. He became President of the company in 1954, upon the death of his father. When he sold the company in 1975, it was the largest independent shoe company in Canada.
Greb is credited as the first manufacturer in the Region to give his employees two weeks holiday with pay. He acquired plants in across Canada and in the USA. He developed the Kodiak Boot, was Canadian licensee for Hush Puppies, supplied footwear to the Ontario Provincial Police, farmers in Western Canada, and thousands of pairs of boots for the Canadian and British military.
He was Director of Equitable Life Insurance Company for twenty-six years. He was a lifetime and active member of St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Kitchener. A man of great energy, Greb served ten years as Chairman of the Board of Waterloo Lutheran University. He was honoured with an LLD degree in 1971. He served as President of the Shoe Manufacturers of Canada, President of the Shoe Information Bureau, and President of the Shoe and Leather Council of Canada. Greb was a member of the Waterloo County Shrine Club, Mocha Temple for fifty-five years; Grand River and Scottish Rite Masonic Lodges for sixty-two years; Kitchener Rotary Club for fifty-five years; and ExOfficer of Sea Cadet Corps RCSCC Warspite - Kitchener.
Greb married Dorothy Spain of Galt in 1938. They have one son, Douglas, a daughter Barbara, and nine grandchildren. Greb was an active sailor all his life and skippered five different vessels.
Photograph by BELAIR, Kitchener
A tennis player of national renown, Cambridge native Mark Greenan was on Canada's Davis Cup team in 1985, 1986 and 1987 and he was National doubles champion in 1988, 1989, 1990 and 1992.
Greenan honed his skills at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina where he played Number One, earned All-American recognition and was Atlantic Conference Most Valuable Player in 1988.
He was Ontario Junior Champion in 1983, Canadian International Junior Doubles Champion in 1984 and Canadian Junior Doubles Champion in 1983 and 1984. Also in 1984, he was Rolex USA Junior International Doubles Champion.
Named Cambridge Athlete of the Year in 1987, he continues his association with tennis as a teaching pro with the "Harry Greenan Tennis Academy".
The name of Groff in Waterloo in the 19th century was associated with the raising of Shorthorn cattle.
Andrew Groff of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, settled in 1822 on 170 acres at the location of the Galt Country Club. He later owned a grist mill, general store, tavern and a distillery. In the 1840s the family moved to Waterloo where his sons and grandsons, with outstanding success, bred and raised Shorthorn cattle.
A Knight of Warlaby, imported from Scotland, proved to be an outstanding sire. A son, A Baron of Waterloo," in 1882 was Grand Champion at the leading Canadian show at Kingston. In 1886 he was champion at Guelph. He was then sold to the Hon. George Brown. This bull sired what was probably the best show herd in Canada, winning awards on the American and Canadian show circuits. The Groffs were justifiably proud of their reputation as Shorthorn breeders.
Friedrich Guggisberg (referred to as "Frederick" Guggisberg in commercial business directories) was the founder of one of Preston's earliest furniture works. Born in Uetendorf, Canton Bern, Switzerland in 1818, he came to Canada in 1834 with two older sisters and their families. In Preston, they joined two older brothers, Johann and Samuel. In 1838, Frederick started his own cabinetmaking shop, which grew from making chairs to a diversified manufacturing concern, making desks, tables and some of the first barrel type patented revolving drawer desks and high roll-top desks in Canada. The finest designs were sent to Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. At one time, the Guggisberg furniture works was the largest employer in Preston. Involved in community affairs, in 1852, Frederick was a member of Preston's first village council. He is buried in the Old Preston Cemetery on Fountain Street, Cambridge.
After Guggisberg's death in 1888, his three sons took over the business and later sold out their interest. The business became the Preston Furniture Company, manufacturing office desks. This company was sold to Percy Hilborn in 1919, and became consolidated with Hilborn's Canadian Office and School Furniture Company in 1928.
As cofounder and president of Home Hardware, Walter Hachborn built this successful Canadian company by making people his business. Hachborn was born in Conestogo, Ontario and he has lived in St. Jacobs most of his life. With two other businessmen, he purchased Hollinger Hardware in 1950, from which evolved Home Hardware (established in 1963) as a network of independent hardware dealers across Canada.
Hachborn was appointed to the Order of Canada in 2000 honouring his many achievements to the betterment of business and community life in Waterloo Region. He was a Director of the Asthma Society of Canada, and a member of the Waterloo Historical Society, the St. Jacobs Horticultural Society, and the Woolwich Community Health Centre. He is a volunteer for the Canadian Executive Services Organization (CESO) and has served in Panama, the Czech Republic and in Canadian native communities.
He was named Citizen of the Year of Woolwich Township in 1976. He received an Honourary LLD degree from Wilfrid Laurier University in 1985. His other honourary awards include Distinguished Canadian Retailer of the Year (1988), Master Entrepreneur of the Year (1996), Inaugural Corporate Partnership Award of the Asthma Society of Canada (2000), and he was named to the Canadian Hardware Housewares Hall of Fame (1989). Canada Business Magazine, Hardware Merchandising recently named him Retailer of the Century.
His past services include three years in the Canadian Armed Forces, Vice-President of the Woolwich Township Planning Board (1957-1972), four years on the Board of Governors of Waterloo College, ten years on the Board of Governors of Wilfrid Laurier University, six years on the Executive Board of the Lutheran Church of America (Canada Synod). He was founding President of United Hardware Wholesalers and founding chairman of Interlink International. He was a director of J.M. Schneider, Inc., and Chairman of the Energy Section of the Distributive Trades Consultative Committee (Ministry of Industry, Trade and Commerce).
J. GERALD HAGEY
J. Gerald Hagey was born in Hamilton. He graduated from Waterloo College (of the University of Western Ontario), joined B.F. Goodrich, Kitchener, where he became advertising and public relations manager. In 1953, he was appointed president of Waterloo College (Wilfrid Laurier University). When the University of Waterloo was founded in 1957, he became its first president and vice-chancellor. He retired in 1969 and was appointed president-emeritus.
Hagey received an honorary doctor of law degrees from Susquehanna University, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Sir George Williams University, Montreal, the University of Western Ontario, Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo. He was president of the Association of Canadian Advertisers (1951) and a charter member of the K-W Sales and Advertising Club. He was named K-W Citizen of the year (1968) and a member of the Order of Canada (1986). The J.G. Hagey Hall of the Humanities at the University of Waterloo is named in his honour.
Jacob Hailer, a pioneer furniture manufacturer, was deeply religious and was very active in establishing the Evangelical Church in Canada. It is recorded that Sunday School was held in his A Spinning Wheel Shop at the corner of what is Scott and King Streets in Kitchener and that members of Canada's First Nations often dropped in to observe what was going on.
Hailer was born in Wilfredingen, Baden, Germany and came to Canada when he was twenty-seven, locating in Berlin. He bought an acre of land from Bishop Eby and started to manufacture furniture, being one of the earliest furniture manufacturers in the County.
Setting a record of shutouts that has never been equalled, George Hainsworth played eleven years in the NHL and five in the Western Canada League before ending a great career.
Hainsworth was born in Toronto on June 26, 1895, but played his amateur hockey in Kitchener, where he moved as a young boy. He went through the OHA ranks winning Junior, Intermediate and Senior titles as well as the Allan Cup in 1918.
Turning professional with Saskatoon in 1924, he played three seasons in the west before joining Montreal Canadiens in 1926 to make hockey history. During the 1928-29 season he registered twenty-two shutouts in forty-four games, allowing only forty-three goals over the entire schedule. But it was not until the next year, and the following one, that Canadiens captured the Stanley Cup. Between 1926 and 1929 George Hainsworth won the Vezina Trophy three straight years.
When the Canadiens ran into difficulties in 1932, Hainsworth was traded for Lorne Chabot of Toronto, and played four seasons with the Maple Leafs. He was replaced by "Turk" Broda for the 1936-37 season and retired. The Canadiens brought him back but after a few games he retired.
He died October 9, 1950.
Her mother's Christian names, Katherine Hale, were chosen as the pen name of the distinguished Canadian writer and lecturer on current literature, Amelia Beers Warnock, who was born in Galt in 1874.
She attended Glen Mawr School in Toronto, studied singing in New York, and became literary editor of the Mail and Empire. In 1912 she married John Garvin, a Canadian critic.
A famous poem, Grey Knitting , and two collections of verse established her as a lyric poet. Of her prose works, This is Ontario is considered an extremely fine example of Regional writing and carried her fame far beyond the borders of her native province. Other writings included: Canadian Cities of Romance in 1923 and later Canadian Houses of Romance.
The sensitive treatment given the native legends of the regions bordering the St. Lawrence River led L'Institut Historique et Heralique of France to enroll her name on its list of Honorary Members.
MONSIGNOR REUBEN MICHAEL HALLER CP
Monsignor R.M. Haller built a record of long and distinguished service for God, his church and his country. Educated at St. Clement's Separate School, Preston, St. Jerome's College and the Grand Seminary of the University of Montreal, he was ordained in 1912, serving at Mildmay, Macton, St. Clements, New Germany (Maryhill), Walkerton, Deemerton and Hanover.
His great achievement was establishing St. Joseph's parish, Kitchener, and the building of a church during the depressed thirties. He continued as a very revered pastor until his retirement in 1968.
An army Chaplain during the Second World War, he was a member of the K-W High School Board for twenty-three years and Chairman of the Catholic High School Board for ten years.
He was raised to the dignity of Monsignor, a Domestic Prelate on appointment by Pope John XXIII in 1959. In 1972 the Waterloo County Separate School Board named a Kitchener elementary school, Monsignor R.M. Haller School, in his honour.
A.C. Hallman, a native of New Dundee, is remembered as an expert in the breeding and raising of Holstein cattle. When Shorthorns were the leading breed, he had confidence that eventually Holsteins would develop into much smoother and more attractive animals, and command good market prices.
To this end, in 1882 he imported Holsteins from New York State. Around 1895 he purchased Springbrook Farm, near Breslau, and developed a large herd. Many were sired by an important bull considered one of the finest sires of the era. Hallman was judge for the Holstein breed at large fairs in Canada and the United States. He served as president of the Holstein-Friesian Association of Canada and was a founder of the Waterloo County Holstein Breeders' Club, and president until his death in 1918.
Hallman was also reeve of Waterloo County for two years.
LYLE S. HALLMAN
Lyle Shantz Hallman was committed to the betterment of his community.
Hallman was a land developer, home and apartment builder and philanthropist, who was awarded the Canada 125 Medal, an Honourary Doctor of Laws degree from the University of Waterloo, and he was invested in the Order of Canada.
Hallman was born in Preston in 1922. After serving in the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II, he started his construction business by excavating a basement with a team of horses and a scraper. Hallman Construction Ltd., founded in 1945, grew into the Hallman Group of Companies, builder, owner and manager of seventy-five apartment buildings, comprising 3,500 rental units as well as a major land developer.
Hallman made major lead gifts to numerous fund-raising campaigns throughout the Waterloo Region, including: the Lyle S. Hallman Swimming Pool; endowing the Lyle S. Hallman Fund of the Kitchener Waterloo Community Foundation; gifts to the Grand River Hospital Foundation including funding the first MRI in the Waterloo Region; and also to the University of Waterloo for the Lyle S. Hallman Institute for Health Promotion and Wilfrid Laurier University for the Lyle S. Hallman "Chair" in Child and Family Development.
He was a founder of the local Home Builders Association in 1946. He was Treasurer of the National Home Builders Association from 1980 to 1985, as well as National Chair of Housing and Urban Development Association of Canada, Multi-Family Council. His expertise and knowledge were in constant demand by local elected officials, regional committees and provincial organizations, seeking information on property management and apartment procedure.
Photograph courtesy of Forde Studio, Kitchener
Edward Halter, for many decades a leading citizen of New Germany, Waterloo County, was a staunch and very impressive looking farmer, who refused to don formal dress, but wore tweeds when being presented to the Pope.
Halter, born in Lower Alsace, and fluent in both English and French, long remembered the ruggedness of the family's 42 day journey to this continent in a sailing vessel and the early struggles of the family who lived in a small log cabin.
Halter's municipal career included service as a member of the township council 1874-1877, deputy reeve in 1877 and 1878 and reeve in 1879. In 1880 he promoted the Hopewell Creek Fire Insurance Company of New Germany and was president for six years. In 1874 he was appointed Justice of the Peace, and for forty-five years was a notary public and commissioner of the High Court.
Gordon Hamblin, a native of England, came to Kitchener with his family in 1917. An industrialist, he was president of Smiles < n Chuckles Limited, a manufacturer of candy.
For his extremely extensive community and national service, he was given a large number of awards, including the City of Kitchener Award of Merit; the Jaycees' Award as Citizen of the Year for 1960; Federated Charities Award for thirty-seven years' service; fifty years' service award from the National Council, YMCA as a director of the Kitchener Y for fifty-five years; Centennial Award and Good Servant Medal, Canadian Council of Christians and Jews, for twenty-six years' national and local service; recognition as a member of the Kitchener Public Library Board for thirty-four years, and Chairman of the Building and Budget Committees; Trinity United Church recognition for service as Church School Superintendent, elder and an active member of the Official Board; and an Honorary Certificate from the Interfaith Pastoral Counselling Centre.
Hamblin also received the Queen's 25th Anniversary Medal from Governor Jules Leger.
DEBORAH GLAISTER HANNAY, M.D.
Glaister graduated from the University of Toronto Medical School in 1932 and did post-graduate work in England. In 1936 she returned to Wellesley, Ontario to assist her ailing father with his medical practice. For several years, Dr. Debbie, as she was known, took on a busy rural caseload and she was Wellesley Township's first female physician. Her deep compassion and professionalism made her very popular with her patients.
In 1943 the recently married Glaister-Hannay joined the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps where she qualified as Captain. After the war Glaister-Hannay had a full medical practice as Kitchener's first female specialist. She later joined Freeport Hospital, eventually becoming the hospital's chief of staff.
In 1999, Wellesley Township honoured its first female doctor by naming a road Deborah Glaister Line.
ROBERT MUNRO HANNAH
Robert "Bob" Hannah was born in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario in 1925. He served in the Canadian Infantry Corps from 1943 to 1946 after which he attended McMaster University where he was the Basketball Team Captain in 1948. Hannah taught high school in Haileybury, Ontario for two years and then moved to Kitchener Collegiate Institute where he taught for 34 years from 1951 to 1985.
As a teacher, basketball coach, cheer leader and sports announcer, Hannah earned the designation among area basketball enthusiasts as "Mr. Basketball" . At his home school, he was known as "Mr. KCI". Hannah symbolized participation, vitality and the ongoing effort to improve.
Hannah was the recipient of the Stewart Award for Teacher Excellence in 1977.
Hannah was married for forty-six years to Ruth and they have two children and five grandchildren. He was active in his church community and continued his love of teaching and sports after retirement, by coaching grades seven and eight boys' basketball.
Don Hayes, a native of Ottawa, graduated from Springfield College, Massachusetts with bachelor degrees in science and physical education, and in 1971, his doctorate in physical education. He taught at University of Guelph before joining the University of Waterloo department of kinesiology, specializing in sports' medicine.
Hayes coached the Waterloo Warriors hockey team from 1964-1969 when they were perennial championship contenders. One of his players, Bobby Murdock, went on to play and coach in the National Hockey League.
His research and publications centred on athletic injuries and rehabilitation, protective sports equipment and life saving water vests. He was a member of the university senate, chairman of the sports' medicine section of the national coaching development program and a member of the American Medical Association sub-committee on the medical aspects of hockey. He developed the Don Hayes Hockey Schools in Canada and the United States.
HUGH J. HEASLEY
Hugh J. Heasley, through unstinting service to God and his fellow man, made a great impact on the life, culture and welfare of his home community, Canada and internationally.
He was awarded the Canadian Armed Forces Distinguished Service Order, the Victoria Decoration by the Canadian Army Service Corps, which he represented at the 50th anniversary ceremonies at Vimy Ridge, the Canada Service Medal, and the Croix de Guerre by the French government.
Heasley was named K-W Citizen of the Year in 1959, was awarded three of scouting's top honors, and a promontory at Everton Scout Forest was named after him. He served on the board of Rotary International as director from Canada and a park in Lakeshore Village was named Heasley Park by the Rotary Club. He served in an executive capacity the Canadian Arthritis and Rheumatism Society, the Canadian Cancer Society, the Red Cross, the K-W Federated Charities, the K-W YMCA, the Art Gallery, the K-W Symphony Orchestra Association, the Waterloo Chamber of Commerce, and his service on the Advisory Board of St. Mary's Hospital led to the naming of Heasley Hall in his honour.
Paul Heinbecker has had a distinguished career, serving as Minister (Political Affairs) at the Canadian Embassy in Washington, Ambassador of Canada to Germany and Permanent Representative of Canada to the United Nations. He has also been Assistant Deputy Minister in the Department of External Affairs, Assistant Secretary to the Cabinet for Foreign Policy and Defence and Chief Foreign Policy Advisor to Prime Minister Mulroney.
Heinbecker was an architect of Canada's human security agenda, helped negotiate an end to the Kosovo war, headed the Canadian delegation to the Climate Change negotiations in Kyoto and represented Canada on the UN Security Council where he was a leading opponent of the Iraq war, and an advocate of the International Criminal Court.
Heinbecker graduated from Waterloo Lutheran (now Wilfrid Laurier) University in 1965. He received honorary doctorates from Laurier in 1993 and St. Thomas University in 2007. He was named Laurier Alumnus of the Year in 2003 and selected one of 100 Alumni of Achievement on Laurier's 100th anniversary in 2011.
In 2004 he was appointed the inaugural Director of the Centre for Global Relations at Laurier and a Distinguished Fellow at the Centre for International Governance Innovation in Waterloo. A frequent commentator on radio and television, he has also written numerous articles and edited several books on international relations, and authored Getting Back in the Game: A Foreign Policy Playbook for Canada.
Growing up in Kitchener-Waterloo, Heinbecker played football for WLU and the K-W Dutchmen, hockey for WLU and the Waterloo Siskins, basketball for WLU and baseball for the Kitchener Dodgers
George Heggie was born in Dundee, Scotland in March 1908. In 1910, his family moved to Cambridge (Galt). He was one of the organizers of the Galt Public School skating races which began in 1931 and continue to the present. As the official starter for 57 years, he used a pair of wooden clappers to start each race.
Heggie was a superb shortstop for the Galt Terriers, being named a league all-star several times. He was also a quarterback for the Ontario R.F.U. Galt Juniors. He was President and coached in the Galt Minor Baseball Association, as well as a founder of Little League Baseball in Galt. An avid curler, Heggie was a founder of the Tri-County Masters Curling League and helped to organize numerous Provincial curling competitions.
Heggie was the recipient of the Cambridge Sports Contributor Award in 1982 and he received the "Celebration 88" Medal for his contributions to sport in his community.
Court Heinbuch was born in 1940 and lived in Kitchener his entire life. As a youngster, Heinbuch excelled at hockey and baseball. He was an overpowering left handed pitcher and led Kitchener minor baseball teams to Ontario titles at the Peewee, Bantam, Midget, Junior and Senior levels.
Heinbuch pitched his first no-hitter as an 11 year old Peewee and again in 1961 when the Junior Dodgers won the Ontario Championship. Heinbuch's senior career with the Kitchener Panthers spanned a decade from 1962 to 1972; they won the Intercounty Championship in 1967 and 1968. At the national level, he was a member of Team Ontario that won the 1969 Canadian Championship at the Halifax Summer Games.
Heinbuch was also a talented basketball player and played on championship teams at Eastwood Collegiate, McMaster University and Waterloo Lutheran (Laurier) University. He was a member of the 1965-66 Coronets team that won the Canadian Senior Basketball Championship.
He was an outstanding basketball coach at the high school level,
building a basketball dynasty at Cameron Heights Collegiate
Institute in Kitchener. During the 1982-1983 season, the
Gaels won six tournaments and the All Ontario AAA
Championship. During his coaching career, Heinbuch amassed
six City and six County Championships and had an 80 percent winning
record. He was an assistant coach at the University of
Waterloo when the team won the 1974-75 Canadian University
Heinbuch led the Kitchener Panthers Baseball School for several years and initiated one of the most prestigious basketball tournaments in Ontario that continues today and bears his name - the Heinbuch Classic. An athletic scholarship in his name is awarded each year at Cameron Heights.
Photo by Belair Studio
WILLIAM H. HEISE
William H. Heise was born in Preston in 1887. He received his education at Preston Public School and Galt Collegiate and then learned the trade of a watchmaker and operated a store in Preston. He enlisted in 1915 in World War I and was wounded in action in 1916.
He devoted many years in the promotion of sports in Preston and district which was the forerunner of his later service in wider fields. He became an executive member of the Inter- County Baseball Association, as well as being Secretary-Treasurer of the Preston Athletic Association. In 1947 he was honoured with the presentation of a gold hockey stick emblem by the Ontario Hockey Association for meritorious service to that organization.
From the early 1920s to the time of his death in 1950, Heise's name was synonymous with fine sports leadership and promotion, in Preston and beyond.
Born in Kitchener in June 1910, Heller played his early hockey with the Kitchener Junior team in 1927 and 1928 which won the Ontario Championship in 1928.
He turned professional in 1929 with the New York Ranger organization, playing his first two years with Springfield of the American Hockey League, Rangers farm club. He advanced to the parent club in 1931 where he played fifteen consecutive years. During this lengthy period he was one of the best players in the National Hockey League and earned the distinction of playing on two Stanley Cup winning teams.
After leaving the New York Rangers, Heller played and coached for several years with minor professional league clubs followed by several years coaching in the Ontario Hockey Association.
As a player and coach for over a quarter of a century, Heller made a valuable contribution to the development of Canada's national game.
William Hendry, who was deeply involved in the beginnings of the Mutual Life of Canada, was born in Scotland and came to Winterbourne, Ontario, as a child. He eventually started a business at Neustadt where he also operated a flaxmill and a farm.
In 1870 Hendry was appointed Manager of the Ontario Mutual Life at a salary of $1,000.00 a year. He went to Boston to consult a noted actuary and to obtain a table of sound premium rates. He later toured Western Ontario, giving lectures on the value of mutual insurance. At the end of the week he returned to Waterloo to do bookkeeping and banking. He was a man of strong convictions, courageous and kindly, whose chief aim was the best interests of the policyholders. He resigned in 1898 at the age of 64 for reasons of health.
Hendry also served as a member of the first Berlin-Waterloo Hospital Board of Trustees and at one time was a member of the town council.
In 1994, Hermitage won the Canadian National Doubles championship in badminton. She represented Canada at the Pan American Games in 1995, winning silver in doubles competition and bronze in singles. From 1996 through 2003, Hermitage won the Canadian National Doubles championship, and she won gold in doubles at the 1997 and 1999 Pan American Games. Hermitage competed for Canada at the Olympic Games in 2000.
Hermitage lives and coaches athletes in British Columbia.
The name of Hespeler honours a hard-working, imaginative builder, Jacob Hespeler.
Born in Germany and educated in France, for some time he was a fur trader in Illinois. He came to Preston in 1835, and erected a store, grist mill and a distillery, but finding power and space inadequate for his ideas and means he bought in excess of 145 acres in the nearby village of New Hope. In twelve years he built and operated many mills, industries, stores and residences.
When in 1858 the Great Western Railway was built as an extension from Galt to Guelph, Hespeler took advantage of the presence of the increased population caused by the influx of railway construction workers to secure a sufficiently large census to warrant incorporation as a village. The new village was named Hespeler and he became its first reeve, holding office until 1862.
Carl Hiebert has his roots in a Mennonite farming community in Port Rowan in Southern Ontario. It was an unlikely beginning for a man who has become an adventurer, author entrepreneur, photographer and aviator. In 1981, Hiebert's life took a drastic turn when he broke his back in a hang-gliding accident. Dealing with that tragedy became his biggest challenge ever.
Within two years, Hiebert opened a flight school and became Canada's first paraplegic flight instructor. In 1986, he fulfilled an ambitious dream when he became the first person to fly across Canada in an open-cockpit ultralight aircraft. For fifty-eight days, his plane's 47 horsepower engine pushed him westward. Despite riding out head-winds, storms and an engine failure, he took over 14,000 pictures en-route. He had honed a knack for photography years earlier when he worked as a reporter and photographer at a small weekly newspaper in Grimsby, Ontario. His epic flight, conducted on behalf of the Canadian Paraplegic Association, raised over $100,000 for the organization and drew national media attention.
Hiebert is a dynamic and enthusiastic speaker who motivates by example. From association dinners to national sales conferences, he has spoken to hundreds of audiences across Canada, the USA, and England.
Hiebert is the author of the best selling book Gift of Wings: An Aerial Celebration of Canada based on his flight across Canada. He is the recipient of numerous awards including the Vanier Award, Paul Harris Fellow and an Honourary Law degree from Wilfrid Laurier University for his historic flight, and his contributions to Canada.
His photographs have appeared in Photo Life, Canadian Geographic, en Route and many other publications. Additional books include Where Light Speaks, celebrating the people of Haiti, and This Land I Love: Waterloo County and The Grand River: An Aerial Journey.
Hiebert has set a new goal for himself. Before he dies, he wants his photographs and projects to raise one million dollars for charity; he has already raised $800,000.
Hiebert, who lives in Linwood, presently divides his time between motivational speaking and volunteering as a photographer in developing countries.
ANN KLAGER HIGGS
Ann Klager, a native of Hespeler, became Canadian Womens Overall Champion Water Skier in 1969-70.
Water Skiing is divided into three categories - jump, slalom and tricks. Jumping consists of the skier riding over a ramp. The distance travelled from the top of the ramp to the water is recorded. Slalom skiing consists of skier negotiating six buoys in a standard course with boat speed and rope length variances. The total number of consecutive buoys is scored. Trick skiing is the performance of various figures or tricks on one or two skis within two twenty- second runs.
Participating in the first Summer Games in Canada in 1969 at Halifax, Higgs won gold medals in slalom and tricks and a silver in jump. Following the Games she won the overall Canadian Women's Championship. The following week she tricked a record 3,006 points at Morrisburg, Ontario.
In August of 1970, Higgs won her second overall Canadian Women's Championship. She then represented Canada at the North and South American Group I Championships in Mexico and won a silver medal in tricks.
She was forced to retire in August 1971 with severely pulled shoulder muscles, ligaments and tendons. These injuries occurred in practice at Puslinich Lake where she was preparing for the World Team Trials and the Nationals.
PERCY RICHARD HILBORN
Percy R. Hilborn was born in Berlin and graduated from McGill University in mining and metallurgy. He became a prominent industrialist in Waterloo County.
After working at Clare Brothers Engineering, Preston for ten years, he bought the Preston Furniture Company in 1919. Later he added the Canadian Office and School Furniture Co. Ltd. and the Schmidt Furniture Co. to his holdings.
In 1931 he organized Canada Sand Papers Ltd. of Plattsville.
The Grand River Conservation Authority named him to its honor roll and he donated 120 acres for a park on Highway 24. He received the Silver Acorn, one of Scouting's highest awards.
Hilborn was charter president of the Rotary Club of Preston-Hespeler, president of the Preston Planning Board and associated with the Freeport Hospital, the Victorian Order of Nurses, Preston, the Stratford Shakespearian Festival, Waterloo Trust (Canada Trust) and Equitable Life, Waterloo.
He was a charter member of the associated faculties of Waterloo College and a charter governor of the University of Waterloo.
Thomas Hilliard was born in Northern Ireland and came to Canada in 1847. He became a teacher, a newspaperman and published the Waterloo Chronicle. He was the Waterloo School Inspector for twenty-five years.
Hilliard founded the Dominion Life and raised the $250,000.00 required to start the stock company, and sold the first 520 policies. He was President of the company from 1905 to 1929. During his long career he served the company with great distinction. His unshakable belief in the need for insurance and its benefits to families in need drove him on. He was President of the Canadian Life Insurance Officers Association.
Hilliard served St. James's Methodist Church in Waterloo (now First United), was recording steward for fifty years, attended the General Conference of the Methodist church and the Supreme Council of the United Church.
Norman Himes was born in Galt in 1900. During his late teens he gave ample evidence that he possessed all the attributes characteristic of an outstanding all-round athlete. By his early twenties he excelled in various sports and particularly in baseball and hockey. He played shortstop on the famous Galt Terrier Baseball Team, Champions of the Inter-County and Ontario Baseball Association, in 1922 and 1923, an era in which the quality of baseball in Ontario was at a very high level. Himes, who had opportunities to go higher, was considered one of the best players in the Province.
During the same period of time he excelled as a hockey player with the Galt Club, which won the Ontario Hockey Association Intermediate Championship in 1951. His ability attracted the attention of National Hockey League scouts which resulted in a contract with the New York Americans, later the New York Rangers. He starred for the New York team from 1928 to 1938.
In later years Himes turned to golf and was a Professional at the Westmount Club in Kitchener for some years prior to his death in 1958. In 1951 he won the Millar Trophy, emblematic of the Ontario Professional Golfers Championship.
SERGEANT FREDERICK HOBSON VC
Born in England, Frederick Hobson immigrated to Canada in 1904 after serving in the South African War. He settled in Galt, Ontario with his family. In 1914, when war broke out, he enlisted with the 20th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. He was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross for his brave action at Hill 70, near Lens, France on August 18, 1917. While under attack, Frederick rushed from his trench, reactivated a buried Lewis gun, and engaged the advancing German soldiers single-handedly.
Bob Hodges, a lifelong resident of Cambridge (Hespeler), played minor hockey and was the goaltender of two championship teams including the Hespeler Juveniles in 1963-64 and the Hespeler Jr. C Shamrocks in the mid-1960s.
Hodges began officiating minor hockey games in 1968. He progressed to the Ontario Hockey Association in 1969 and was picked to work the Memorial Cup in Ottawa in 1971. That same season he was scouted by Frank Udvari of the National Hockey League and was asked to work in the American Hockey League on weekends. Hodges worked 52 games that season while still maintaining his job in a local machine shop.
Hodges graduated to the National Hockey League (NHL) at the age of 28 in 1972, and over the next 25 years he officiated in 1,701 regular season games, 157 playoff games, three All Star Games and three Stanley Cup Finals. He also worked some international hockey games. Following his retirement in 1997 he supervised in the OHA for eight years, to help young officials.
Hodges' longevity in the NHL is testimony to his conditioning, ability, and dedication. Officials are "always on the road", "on the ice for every shift" and "involved in every fight".
Hodges was inducted into the Cambridge Sports Hall of Fame in 1999.
Hodges' only regret is that family life suffers. However his dedicated wife Gail raised their two children, Michelle and Shawn, "alone in the winter". The Hodges continue to live in Hespeler and remain dedicated to their community.
John Hoffman, who, like many other Waterloo County pioneers was born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in 1837 had the unique distinction of erecting in Berlin the first furniture factory operated by horsepower. A few years later he built a furniture factory in which steam replaced the horses as a source of power.
A pioneer in many areas, Hoffman was a forerunner of modern town planning. In 1854 he and his son-in-law, Isaac Weaver, bought 400 acres of land between the K-W Collegiate Institute on King Street in Kitchener and the corner of Erb and King Streets in Waterloo and developed a town plan that they hoped would become a reality. He gave one acre to Mount Hope Cemetery.
Hoffman also established cattle, grain and produce markets in Waterloo.
Elmer Hohl, born in 1919, and raised on a farm near Wellesley, won the World's Horseshoe Pitching Championship in the years 1965, 1968, 1972, 1973, and 1977, and was runner-up six times. He pitched a perfect game in the world tournament of 1968.
Hohl started pitching horseshoes at an early age. At thirteen he defeated all comers. He began pitching tournaments in 1957 and won the Ontario and Canadian championships the first time he entered. He has been champion of both groups fifteen times. The secret of his technique was that he pitched a one and three-quarter turn show.
He travelled hundreds of thousands of miles through North America, held several world records and won over 200 trophies and plaques.
Hohl won a gold medal in the Ontario Summer Games in 1977 and received the Queen's Anniversary Medallion in that year in recognition of his accomplishments.
Born in Preston in 1893, Karl Homuth led a distinguished career as a textile manufacturer and politician. Educated in Preston and Galt, Homuth joined textile manufacturer George Pattinson and Company in 1910. In 1917, he joined his father's firm, Otto Homuth Wool Stock Co. In 1928, following the death of his father, he took over full control of the company.
Homuth had a long and distinguished career in elected office, serving at the municipal, provincial and federal levels for more than three decades. In 1917, at age 22, he was elected to the Preston Town Council. In 1919 he was elected to the Ontario Legislature representing Labour and the United Farmers of Ontario in the riding of Waterloo South. He won re-election three times serving until 1930 when he made an unsuccessful bid for a federal seat. In 1927 he switched from Labour to the Progressive Conservative party. In a federal byelection in 1938, he won Waterloo South for the Progressive Conservatives. He subsequently won re-election in 1940, 1945 and 1949. He died in office in 1951.
Homuth was one of the most respected members of parliament. He was instrumental in establishing political clubs for young people as a way to encourage them to become involved in public life. His election slogan The Door is Always Open reflected his willingness to listen to anyone regardless of race, religion or political affiliation. A gifted public speaker, he was in demand as a speaker throughout the country and gave generously of his time.
Following his death, Progressive Conservative Leader George Drew described Homuth as "a good citizen in all that those words mean." The Karl Homuth Arena in Cambridge is named in his honour.
Photo by abc News Pictures
LIEUTENANT SAMUEL HONEY MM, DC, VC
Samuel Lewis Honey was born in Conn, Ontario and was a schoolteacher before enlisting in the army. He was the only member of the Highland Light Infantry of Canada, now the Highland Fusiliers of Canada, to be awarded the Victoria Cross. Lieutenant Honey was awarded the medal for his actions at Bourlon Wood near Cambrai, France. At Bourlon Wood, Honey was severely wounded and died just two weeks before the war ended. He is remembered locally with a plaque in Valour Place at the Cambridge Armoury.
JEROME F. HONSBERGER MD
Dr. Honsberger's outstanding contribution to welfare was made with Rev. Dr. F.E. Oberlander, Dr. G.H. Bowlby, Dr. H.G. Lackner and W.H. Schmalz in establishing Freeport Sanatorium in 1916.
After graduating from Trinity Medical College in 1882 he began his medical career at Delhi and during forty years of practice in Berlin from 1895 vigorously supported every movement for the betterment of the people. An alderman, he pioneered the first septic tank and sand filtration plant. In 1907 he was appointed medical officer of health. He was medical director of the Mutual Life for several years.
Honsberger helped organize and was a director of the YMCA was president of the Berlin Orphanage Board, and was responsible for Kitchener's first League of Nations Society. He was an education board member from 1911 and from 1923 was a member of the High School Board, including several years as chairman. He faithfully served Trinity Church in many capacities.